United Church in Washington, D.C.

United Church in Washington, D.C.
Church list
Image by NCinDC
United Church, also known as the Concordia German Evangelical Church and Rectory, at 20th and G Streets NW in Washington, D.C. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The congregation became known as the United Church when Union Methodist Episcopal Church merged with Concordia German Evangelical Church on January 1, 1975.

From the church’s website: "Today the United Church has tall office buildings, apartments, hotels, shopping centers, and a major university and medical center as its neighbors. Not much remains to show that this neighborhood once had family homes, schools, small shops, and churches and was the center of Washington’s German community. In 1786 this was "Hamburg," a settlement founded by the German Jacob Funck. In 1833 the German Evangelical Concordia Congregation built a church on the corner of 20th and G Streets, NW, a site set aside in Funck’s original plan. A few years later, in 1846, a small group of Methodists who had been meeting in the Union Fire Hall at 19th and H Streets, NW, built their own church: Union Methodist Episcopal Church at 814 20th Street, NW. In January 1975, after many months of prayer and discussion, Concordia United Church of Christ and Union United Methodist Church merged to become The United Church – Die Vereinigte Kirche.
In 1975, two Protestant churches in the center of Washington, DC, two blocks apart, belonging to different denominations and having different traditions and members of differenct ethnic backgrounds, started on a joint ecumenical journey. Today, twenty-five years later, The United Church is a living testimony that there can be unity enriched by great diversity. We offer English and German language services. We are engaged in neighborhood and community concerns and, through various programs, we try to help solve social problems in the inner city."

The church founded Prospect Hill Cemetery, located in NE Washington, D.C., on September 26, 1858.