Union Methodist Episcopal Church
Image by NCinDC
Union Methodist Episcopal Church at 20th and H Streets, NW in Washington, D.C.
The cornerstone for the church was laid on July 1, 1846.
In 1862, the church was used as a hospital during the Civil War and in 1863, as a shelter for the Union Army.
In 1910, the front of the church was moved forward and the stained glass window was installed.
Church membership was boosted by George Washington University’s relocation on G Street, as well as the International Monetary Fund and World Bank headquarters in 1950.
On January 1, 1975 the church merged with Concordia German Evangelical Church at 20th and G Streets to form what is now known as the United Church.
In 1985, the church building was leased to George Washington University.