Trinity United Presbyterian Church, Sherman, Texas Historical Marker

Trinity United Presbyterian Church, Sherman, Texas Historical Marker
Church Covenant
Image by fables98
In the 19th century, Protestant denominations began sending representatives into Texas to organize new churches. By 1850, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church had established seven congregations in Grayson County. The following year, the Rev. W.A. Provine led Sherman residents in organizing their own church, which began meeting in 1852 in the Masonic Lodge hall, which was used by several local congregations. After subsequently using space at the Methodist church, the Cumberland congregation constructed its own sanctuary in 1872 on the northwest corner of Travis and Cherry streets. Throughout the early years of the church’s life, regular revivals played an important role. In 1906, after almost a century of separation, the National Cumberland Presbyterian Church rejoined the Presbyterian Church (USA), and individual congregations were griven the choice to follow suit. The Sherman church voted to rejoin but maintained its name, Cumberland Presbyterian Church, until 1909, when it became known as Grace Presbyterian Church. As the church’s membership grew, it built additional and larger facilities at that same site over the next several decades. In 1921, the congregation voted to be known as Central Presbyterian Church, and in the early 1960s, as the congregation moved to a new site in northwest Sherman, the name changed again, to Trinity United Presbyterian Church. Throughout its history, the congregation that began as Sherman’s Cumberland Presbyterian Church emphasized youth, mission and benevolence programs at the local, national and international levels. These efforts continued after the church united in 1995 with Sherman’s First Presbyterian Church, forming Covenant Presbyterian Church. (2005)