Trinity Episcopal Church
Image by Price|Photography
Trinity Episcopal Church of Houston has existed as a house of worship and a center of its community for over a century. As such, it has adapted to the changing nature of the city, as Houston grew from a regional town of approximately 40,000 souls to a dynamic metropolitan giant, the fourth largest city in the United States. With a congregation that grew from a few founding members in the 1890s to several thousand parishioners at its peak, Trinity Church is an example of how spiritual people have contended with the challenges presented during a city’s most crucial period of urban development.
Founded in 1893 as a mission in a new residential area southwest of downtown, Trinity was a product of Houston’s expansion, when distance made it difficult for the faithful to travel to Christ Church, Trinity’s mother parish and Houston’s initial Episcopal church. After a quarter of a century of existence in wooden buildings, Trinity parish built its present imposing structure (1917 – 1921) in Houston’s South End, at the corner of Main Street and Holman Avenue. That structure, designed by some of the leading architects of their time and paid for through the hard work of the congregation, became an architectural landmark.
During the late 1910s and 1920s, Trinity entered an era of explosive growth, paralleling that of the city, and became an important center of the Episcopal faith. Always blessed with able clergy and energetic membership, Trinity came into its own. The congregation’s many youth and adult activities were community events that
attracted wide attention among the general populace and involved many hundreds of people. An integral part of its city, Trinity likewise maintained special relationships with Houstonians of other faiths. With a membership numbering 1,900 parishioners in 1930, Trinity emerged as the largest Episcopal parish in the Diocese of Texas and one of the largest in the nation.