Trinity Church Historic Site Marker

Trinity Church Historic Site Marker
Trinity Church
Image by SheepGuardingLlama
Historic Site – Trinity Church. Newark’s second oldest house of worship was organized in the 1730s, and chartered by the Church of England (forerunnger of the Episcopal Church in America) in 1746. Part of the tower dates from 1743, but most of the present church was built in 1810. It was designed by Captain Josiah James, a leading parishioner, in a medley of styles. Trinity was designated the cathedral of the Diocese of Newark in 1944. It is the nation’s oldest Episcopal cathedral building, and the mother church of many New Jersey parishes. St. Philip’s Church merged with Trinity in 1966. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.