Tallin, Estonia – St. Olaf Church / Iglesia de San Olaf

Tallin, Estonia – St. Olaf Church / Iglesia de San Olaf
church
Image by Claudio.Ar-150.000 views/1,4 M visits THANKS!!!
Recommended View On Black, large – Recomendado Ver en Fondo Negro, grande

Most recent photos in black – Mis fotos más recientes en negro

St. Olaf’s church or St. Olav’s church (Estonian: Oleviste kirik) in Tallinn, Estonia, is believed to have been built in the 12th century and to have been the centre for old Tallinn’s Scandinavian community prior to the conquest of Tallinn by Denmark in 1219. Its dedication relates to King Olaf II of Norway (a.k.a. Saint Olaf, 995-1030). The first known written records referring to the church date back to 1267, and it was extensively rebuilt during the 14th century.

A legend tells that the builder of the church, named Olaf, upon its completion, fell to his death from atop the tower. It is said that when his body hit the ground, a snake and a toad crawled out of his mouth. There is a wall-carving depicting this event in the adjoining Chapel of Our Lady.

Around 1500, the building reached a height of 159 meters. The motivation for building such an immensely tall steeple must have been to use it as a maritime signpost, which made the trading city of Tallinn visible from far out at sea. Between 1549 and 1625, when the spire burnt down after a lightning strike, it was the tallest building in the world. The steeple of St. Olav has been hit by lightning at least eight times, and the whole church has burned down three times throughout its known existence. Following several rebuildings, its overall height is now 123 meters.

During the Soviet occupation from 1944 until 1991, the Soviet KGB used Oleviste’s spire as a radio tower and surveillance point. It currently continues as an active Baptist church.

(Source : wikipedia)

La iglesia de San Olaf o San Olav (estonio: Oleviste Kirik) en Tallin, Estonia, se cree que ha sido construida en el siglo 12 y que ha sido el centro de congregación de la antigua comunidad escandinava antes de la conquista de Tallin por Dinamarca en 1219. Su dedicación se refiere al rey Olaf II de Noruega (alias San Olaf, 995-1030). El primer registro escrito refiriéndose a la iglesia se remonta a 1267, y fue ampliamente reconstruida durante el siglo 14.

Una leyenda dice que el constructor de la iglesia, llamado Olaf, al finalizarla, se lanzó desde la cima de la torre y murió. Se dice que cuando su cuerpo golpeó el suelo, una serpiente y un sapo se arrastraron fuera de su boca. Hay una pared que representa la talla de este evento en la adyacente Capilla de Nuestra Señora.

Alrededor de 1500, el edificio alcanzó una altura de 159 metros. La motivación para la construcción de esta enorme torre de altura debe haber estado en el utilizarla como una señal marítima, que hizo que la ciudad comercial de Tallin visible desde lejos desde el mar. Entre 1549 y hasta 1625, cuando la aguja resultó quemada después de la caída de un rayo, fue el edificio más alto del mundo. El campanario de San Olav ha sido alcanzado por un rayo al menos ocho veces, y toda la iglesia se ha quemado tres veces a lo largo de su existencia conocida. Después de varias reconstrucciones, su altura total es ahora 123 metros.

Durante la ocupación soviética de 1944 hasta 1991, la KGB soviética la aguja de Oleviste fue utilizada como torre de radio y punto de vigilancia. En la actualidad se mantiene activa como una iglesia bautista.

(Fuente : wikipedia)

Comments are closed.