Image by York Minster
York Minster’s Nave has been cleared to give visitors a glimpse of how the cathedral would have looked during medieval times. The Nave will remain empty of its 800 chairs until the 18th February, revealing a space big enough for three tennis courts (approx 80m x 30m), showing how spacious it would have appeared when it was originally built. Constructed in the Decorated style, building began in 1280 and it took 70 years to replace the Norman nave of Thomas of Bayeux. In medieval times it was used for a range of purposes including markets, and in the 1500’s there were even complaints about boys playing football there.