Tag Archives: Road

Ebenezer Chapel – Dashwood Road, Banbury

Ebenezer Chapel – Dashwood Road, Banbury
First Baptist Church
Image by ell brown
On Dashwood Road in Banbury – a one way street.

Near the Catholic Church of St John the Evangelist.

Ebenezer Chapel. Grade II listed as Austin House.

Austin House, Banbury

BANBURY SOUTH BAR STREET
SP4550SW (East side)
9/181 No.24 (Austin House)
07/10/69
GV II

Baptist chapel, now offices. 1834 with later alterations. Red brick, hipped
Welsh slate roof, brick end stack. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Central 2-storey
advanced entrance bay has porch with slender columns. Panelled double doors.
Decorated overlight. Single sash above entrance has glazing bars and stone sill.
Ground floor to left and right of porch has sashes with glazing bars, brick flat
arches and stone sills. 2 similar windows to first floor. All windows of 3-pane
width. Basement has sashes with glazing bars. Moulded chamfered cornice. Erected
for Richard Austin (d.1840). The Austin family were prominent brewers and
Baptists in C19 Banbury.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, pp.92 and 116).

Listing NGR: SP4536240190

Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation, presbytery and halls, 218 Charminster Road, Richmond Park, Bournemouth, Dorset

Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation, presbytery and halls, 218 Charminster Road, Richmond Park, Bournemouth, Dorset
Roman Church
Image by Alwyn Ladell
View of nave from gallery.

Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation, presbytery and halls, 218 Charminster Road, Richmond Park, Bournemouth, Dorset

Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation, presbytery and halls, 218 Charminster Road, Richmond Park, Bournemouth, Dorset
Roman Church
Image by Alwyn Ladell
The tabernacle.

Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation, presbytery and halls, 218 Charminster Road, Richmond Park, Bournemouth, Dorset

Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation, presbytery and halls, 218 Charminster Road, Richmond Park, Bournemouth, Dorset
Roman Church
Image by Alwyn Ladell
South porch.

Church of St Andrew – Church Road, Wilmcote

Church of St Andrew – Church Road, Wilmcote
Church list
Image by ell brown
On Church Road in Wilmcote. The church and nearby cottages.

This is the Church of St Andrew in Wilmcote. It is next door to the primary school.

Grade II listed.

Church of St Andrew, Wilmcote

WILMCOTE CHURCH ROAD
SP15NE (West side)
8/26 Church of St. Andrew
11/12/69

GV II

Small church. 1840-42. Attributed to William Butterfield (VCH), but attribution
not accepted by Paul Thompson. Built for the Knottesford Fortescue family.
Regular coursed lias with limestone ashlar dressings. Tile roofs with coped
gables. Aisled nave and chancel, north vestry. Early English style. 4-bay nave,
2-bay chancel. Angle buttresses and lancets with continuous hood moulds
throughout. Chancel has triple east lancets with string course at sill, and
quatrefoil above. Buttresses with gablets. Gable has foliated cross. Single
south window. Roof has corbel table. Small north door in lean-to porch with east
window. South aisle has 4 windows and east window; north aisle has 3 north
windows only. Nave and chancel roof in one; aisles have lean-to roofs of same
pitch, but slightly lower. West entrance between 2 lancets has chamfered arched
doorway with stilted outer arch, and plank door with ironwork. String course at
sill level continued up over door as gable with stiff-leaf finial. Pointed
elliptical window above has moulded surround. Gable has small louvred wood
bellcote. Far-projecting vestry, possibly a later addition, at right angles to
north aisle, has west door with hood mould continued across wall. North window.
Blank east wall of imitation ashlar cement. Interior: Plastered or whitewashed
walls. Chancel has 2 pairs of sedilia. Small elaborate niche and bracket on
north wall has trefoiled arch with shafts and gable, and bracket supported on
stiff-leaves clasped in a hand. Elaborate painting, stencilling and gilding on
every surface, including panelled wagon roof. Encaustic tile paving. Chancel
arch on short colonette corbels. Nave has 4-bay arcade of 2 chamfered orders and
round piers with 4 fillets. West internal porch, gallery overt west arch and
west wall of aisles elaborately painted and stencilled. Queen strut roof with
arched braces on colonnette corbels. Narrow aisles, lower than arcade. Walls
covered with scenes from the life of Christ painted in monochrome on zinc
sheets, said to have been painted by the incumbent c.1870. Fittings: Arcaded
stone altar. Carved stone pulpit with later monochrome paintings c.1870.
Cylindrical stone font with carved interlace ornament, and elaborate ironwork on
lid. Stained glass: East window c.1857, south aisle east mid C19; good quality
medieval style work. Sculpture: Flemish relief of c.1520 (Buildings of England)
on west wall. A good, very largely complete example of a Tractarian-influenced
church interior.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, p. ; Buildings of England: Harwicksfiire,
pp.473-471; Paul Thompson: William Butterfield, p.56).

Listing NGR: SP1638657892

The churchyard with gravestones and memorials.

Obelisk cross memorial.