Tag Archives: Newark

NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church

NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church
First Baptist Church
Image by wallyg
The First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church was first organized in 1801 as the First Baptist Church of Newark when part of the congregation of the Lyons Farms Baptist Church split. Services were held in the White School house until a church was built in 1806. A new building was dedicated in 1869 before being abandoned. The current structure, at 572 Broad Street, was built in 1890. Designed by William Halsey Wood, the edifice was a gift of Thomas B. Peddie, who served two terms as Mayor of Newark and was later elected to Congress, representing the sixth district of New Jersey.

New Jersey State Register (1972)
National Register #72000774 (1972)

NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church

NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church
First Baptist Church
Image by wallyg
The First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church was first organized in 1801 as the First Baptist Church of Newark when part of the congregation of the Lyons Farms Baptist Church split. Services were held in the White School house until a church was built in 1806. A new building was dedicated in 1869 before being abandoned. The current structure, at 572 Broad Street, was built in 1890. Designed by William Halsey Wood, the edifice was a gift of Thomas B. Peddie, who served two terms as Mayor of Newark and was later elected to Congress, representing the sixth district of New Jersey.

New Jersey State Register (1972)
National Register #72000774 (1972)

NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church

NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church
First Baptist Church
Image by wallyg
The First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church was first organized in 1801 as the First Baptist Church of Newark when part of the congregation of the Lyons Farms Baptist Church split. Services were held in the White School house until a church was built in 1806. A new building was dedicated in 1869 before being abandoned. The current structure, at 572 Broad Street, was built in 1890. Designed by William Halsey Wood, the edifice was a gift of Thomas B. Peddie, who served two terms as Mayor of Newark and was later elected to Congress, representing the sixth district of New Jersey.

New Jersey State Register (1972)
National Register #72000774 (1972)

NJ – Newark: Trinity Episcopal Church

NJ – Newark: Trinity Episcopal Church
Episcopal Church
Image by wallyg
Trinity Episcopal Church, at 608 Broad street, was originally built in 1742 at the north end of the town’s common or militia training grounds. Trinity was the first church organized n competition with the established Presbyterian Church. The original stone structure was badly damaged by during the Revolutionary War and rebuilt in 1810, with just the tower and portico being held over from the original. Its iconic steeple rising 168-feet. In accordance with the dictates of the ecclesiology movement, the church was enlarged in 1857 with a chancel and sanctuary.

The church became the Cathedral for the Newark Diocese in 1942. When a fire destroyed St. Philip’s Episcopal Church in 1964, its African-American congregation merged with Trinity’s and became known as Trinity and St. Philip’s Cathedral in 1992.

New Jersey State Register (1977)
National Register #72000793 (1972)

NJ – Newark: Trinity Episcopal Church

NJ – Newark: Trinity Episcopal Church
Episcopal Church
Image by wallyg
Trinity Episcopal Church, at 608 Broad street, was originally built in 1742 at the north end of the town’s common or militia training grounds. Trinity was the first church organized n competition with the established Presbyterian Church. The original stone structure was badly damaged by during the Revolutionary War and rebuilt in 1810, with just the tower and portico being held over from the original. Its iconic steeple rising 168-feet. In accordance with the dictates of the ecclesiology movement, the church was enlarged in 1857 with a chancel and sanctuary.

The church became the Cathedral for the Newark Diocese in 1942. When a fire destroyed St. Philip’s Episcopal Church in 1964, its African-American congregation merged with Trinity’s and became known as Trinity and St. Philip’s Cathedral in 1992.

New Jersey State Register (1977)
National Register #72000793 (1972)