Tag Archives: Montréal

Inverno em Montreal / Christ Church Cathedral

Inverno em Montreal / Christ Church Cathedral
Church Christ
Image by Marcio Cabral de Moura
Visita a Montreal nas festas de fim de ano de 2008.

Visit to Montreal in the Christmas Holiday of 2008.
A cathedral by this name was formerly located on Notre-Dame Street in Old Montreal. It had been designated as the cathedral for the new Diocese of Montreal when the Diocese of Montreal was separated from the Diocese of Quebec. The original Christ Church Cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1856.

The present cathedral, an Neo-gothic structure, was designed by architect Frank Wills, who also designed Christ Church Cathedral in Fredericton, New Brunswick. It was completed in 1859 and consecrated in 1867.

Unfortunately, the design, though acclaimed for its architecture, suffered from important engineering flaws. The soft ground could not support the heavy central stone tower and steeple, which began to subside and lean. This defect formed the basis of an important lawsuit (Wardle v. Bethune) often cited as precedent relating to Article 1688 of the Quebec Civil Code. The steeple had to be removed in 1927. New foundations were poured in 1939, and in 1940, an anonymous donation permitted the construction of a much lighter steeple made of aluminum, moulded to simulate the former stone spire. It is 28 metres high, attaining a height of 70 metres off the ground.

Recent additions to the church include a choir gallery, built in 1980, and the church’s third organ, completed in 1981. Notable musicians to have served as the church’s organist include Alfred Whitehead (1922–1947) and S. Drummond Wolff (1952–1956).
Wikipedia

Montréal 1860. St-Andrew Scotich Presbyterian Church, côte du Beavehall >Nord.

Montréal 1860. St-Andrew Scotich Presbyterian Church, côte du Beavehall >Nord.
Church
Image by DubyDub2009
Archives du Musée MCord / W.Notman (1826-1891).
Détail d’un cliché stéréoscopique réalisé au studio Notman. Entre Zion’s Church et la magnifique St-Andrews aux multiples clochetons, on voit le terrain sur lequel sera construite First Baptist’s Church. www.flickr.com/photos/urbexplo/5520437554

Montréal 1890. Hay Market et Trustees St-Stephen’s Church.

Montréal 1890. Hay Market et Trustees St-Stephen’s Church.
St Church
Image by DubyDub2009
Montréal Map 1890 / Charles E. Goad. (détail). Source: BANQ.
Localisation du Trustees St-Stephen’s Church et du Hay Market (marché au foin). www.flickr.com/photos/urbexplo/4700546611

Montréal 1879. Église presbytérienne St-Gabriel, Church of Scotland.

Montréal 1879. Église presbytérienne St-Gabriel, Church of Scotland.
St Church
Image by DubyDub2009
Archives BANQ / Montreal Map: H.W.Hopkins 1879.
Le détail de cette carte nous montre l’emplacement exact de la Church of Scotland ( église presbytérienne St-Gabriel).

St. Patrick’s Church, Dorchester Street, Montreal, QC, 1915

St. Patrick’s Church, Dorchester Street, Montreal, QC, 1915
church
Image by Musée McCord Museum
VIEW-15125
St. Patrick’s Church, Dorchester Street, Montreal, QC, 1915
Wm. Notman & Son
1915, 20th century
Notman photographic Archives – McCord Museum

VIEW-15125
Église St. Patrick, rue Dorchester, Montréal, QC, 1915
Wm. Notman & Son
1915, 20e siècle
Archives photographiques Notman – Musée McCord

To see the image file on the McCord Museum website, click on the following link: www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/collection/artifacts/VIEW-15125

Pour voir la fiche descriptive de cette photographie sur le site Web du Musée McCord, cliquer le lien suivant:
www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/fr/collection/artefacts/VIEW-15125

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church
church christ
Image by wallyg
Cathédrale Christ Church (Christ Church Anglican Cathedral), at 1444 avenue Union, was built in Neo-Gothic style from 1856 to 1859 by Frank Wills and consecrated in 1867. The current building replaces the original cathedral located on rue Notre-Dame that was destroyed by a fire in 1856. Christ Church has served as the cathedral for the Anglican Diocese of Montréal since it separated the after it separated from the Diocese of Québec, and is the regimental church of the Montréal infantry regiment The Canadian Grenadier Guards, and retired colours of the Regiment are on display in an alcove inside the cathedral.

The design, though acclaimed for its architecture, suffered from important engineering flaws. The soft ground could not support the heavy central stone tower, which began to subside and lean, so the steeple had to be removed in 1927. New foundations were poured in 1939, and in 1940, an anonymous donation permitted the construction of a much lighter steeple made of aluminum, molded to simulate the former stone spire. It is 28 metres high, attaining a height of 70 metres off the ground.

In 1987, some older buildings north of the Cathedral were demolished, and the land leased to developers who built the office tower and underground mall, La Place de La Cathédrale. During construction, braced with a complicated series of pre-stressed concrete columns and beams, which supported the building in mid-air while the shopping mall was excavated. The office tower includes space for the Diocesan offices, and the mall includes a Canadian Bible Society outlet, an Anglican bookstore and a space called the Undercroft which includes the cathedral’s Sunday school, drop-in centre, and practice rooms. The rent paid to the Church, approximately 0,000, helps to pay for the upkeep of the cathedral.

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church
church of christ
Image by wallyg
The carved angels which abound in every part of the Christ Church are a curious feature. It is said that Bishop Fulford, the first Bishop of Montreal, was anxious to emphasize by their presence that the worship on earth is always offered in association with that of the whole company of heaven.

Cathédrale Christ Church (Christ Church Anglican Cathedral), at 1444 avenue Union, was built in Neo-Gothic style from 1856 to 1859 by Frank Wills and consecrated in 1867. The current building replaces the original cathedral located on rue Notre-Dame that was destroyed by a fire in 1856. Christ Church has served as the cathedral for the Anglican Diocese of Montréal since it separated the after it separated from the Diocese of Québec, and is the regimental church of the Montréal infantry regiment The Canadian Grenadier Guards, and retired colours of the Regiment are on display in an alcove inside the cathedral.

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church
church of christ
Image by wallyg
Cathédrale Christ Church (Christ Church Anglican Cathedral), at 1444 avenue Union, was built in Neo-Gothic style from 1856 to 1859 by Frank Wills and consecrated in 1867. The current building replaces the original cathedral located on rue Notre-Dame that was destroyed by a fire in 1856. Christ Church has served as the cathedral for the Anglican Diocese of Montréal since it separated the after it separated from the Diocese of Québec, and is the regimental church of the Montréal infantry regiment The Canadian Grenadier Guards, and retired colours of the Regiment are on display in an alcove inside the cathedral.

The design, though acclaimed for its architecture, suffered from important engineering flaws. The soft ground could not support the heavy central stone tower, which began to subside and lean, so the steeple had to be removed in 1927. New foundations were poured in 1939, and in 1940, an anonymous donation permitted the construction of a much lighter steeple made of aluminum, molded to simulate the former stone spire. It is 28 metres high, attaining a height of 70 metres off the ground.

In 1987, some older buildings north of the Cathedral were demolished, and the land leased to developers who built the office tower and underground mall, La Place de La Cathédrale. During construction, braced with a complicated series of pre-stressed concrete columns and beams, which supported the building in mid-air while the shopping mall was excavated. The office tower includes space for the Diocesan offices, and the mall includes a Canadian Bible Society outlet, an Anglican bookstore and a space called the Undercroft which includes the cathedral’s Sunday school, drop-in centre, and practice rooms. The rent paid to the Church, approximately 0,000, helps to pay for the upkeep of the cathedral.

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church
church of christ
Image by wallyg
The reredos on the high altar, the focal point of Christ Church Cathedral, were dedicated at the end of World War I as a memorial to those who fell in the War. Familiar scenes from the life of our Christ are depicted in the lower part of the stone screen. Above them (left to right) stand St. George, St. Martin of Tours (on whose day the 1918 Armistice was signed), St. Lawrence (on whose day Jacques Cartier entered the river which he named after the saint), Christ the King, St. John Baptist (patron saint of Quebec and Canada), St. Nicholas of Myra (patron of sailors) and finally St. Michael the Archangel (patron of airmen).

Cathédrale Christ Church (Christ Church Anglican Cathedral), at 1444 avenue Union, was built in Neo-Gothic style from 1856 to 1859 by Frank Wills and consecrated in 1867. The current building replaces the original cathedral located on rue Notre-Dame that was destroyed by a fire in 1856. Christ Church has served as the cathedral for the Anglican Diocese of Montréal since it separated the after it separated from the Diocese of Québec, and is the regimental church of the Montréal infantry regiment The Canadian Grenadier Guards, and retired colours of the Regiment are on display in an alcove inside the cathedral.

The design, though acclaimed for its architecture, suffered from important engineering flaws. The soft ground could not support the heavy central stone tower, which began to subside and lean, so the steeple had to be removed in 1927. New foundations were poured in 1939, and in 1940, an anonymous donation permitted the construction of a much lighter steeple made of aluminum, molded to simulate the former stone spire. It is 28 metres high, attaining a height of 70 metres off the ground.

In 1987, some older buildings north of the Cathedral were demolished, and the land leased to developers who built the office tower and underground mall, La Place de La Cathédrale. During construction, braced with a complicated series of pre-stressed concrete columns and beams, which supported the building in mid-air while the shopping mall was excavated. The office tower includes space for the Diocesan offices, and the mall includes a Canadian Bible Society outlet, an Anglican bookstore and a space called the Undercroft which includes the cathedral’s Sunday school, drop-in centre, and practice rooms. The rent paid to the Church, approximately 0,000, helps to pay for the upkeep of the cathedral.