Tag Archives: Mary’s

Edinburgh. Saint Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, looking East

Edinburgh. Saint Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, looking East
Jesus Christ Church
Image by Cornell University Library
Collection: A. D. White Architectural Photographs, Cornell University Library
Accession Number: 15/5/3090.01245

Title: Edinburgh. Saint Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, looking East

Photographer: George Washington Wilson (Scottish, 1823-1893)
Architect: Sir George Gilbert Scott (English, 1811-1878)

Building Date: 1874-1879
Photograph date: ca. 1865-ca. 1885

Location: Europe: United Kingdom; Edinburgh

Materials: albumen print

Image: 11 5/8 x 7 5/8 in.; 29.5275 x 19.3675 cm

Style: Gothic Revival

Provenance: Gift of Andrew Dickson White

Persistent URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1813.001/5tdq

There are no known copyright restrictions on this image. The digital file is owned by the Cornell University Library which is making it freely available with the request that, when possible, the Library be credited as its source.

We had some help with the geocoding from Web Services by Yahoo!

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]
Indianapolis churches
Image by WikiProject Public Art
Limestone figures and relief panels adorn the facade of a church. Three relief panels are set in the Gothic arched tympanum of the three main entrances to the church. The relief on the left depicts the Nativity. An angel hovers over a manger. Joseph stands on the proper left and Mary on the proper right. The center relief depicts the Crucifixion. Christ hangs on the cross in the center of the relief. He is flanked by Roman soldiers. Immediately beneath the cross are Mary (on the proper left), Mary Magdalene and St. John (on the proper right). The relief on the right depicts the Ascension. Christ hovers amidst radiating light, and is flanked by two awestruck kneeling figures. In addition to the reliefs, three full-length figures are set in individual niches high on the church facade. The figure of the Blessed Mother stands beneath the main gable facing west. Her hands are folded at her heart. The figure of St. Henry of Bavaria faces west. He holds a scale model church in his proper left hand. A figure of St. Boniface of Fulda is located beneath a gable. He wears a mitre and holds a crozier in his proper right hand. Twenty-two gargoyles and grotesques decorate recessed areas and the eaves around the entire facade of the building.

The church was dedicated in 1912. Sangernebo sculpted the gargoyles, and possibly the relief panels above the main entrance. The figures of St. Boniface, the Blessed Mother, and St. Henry are possibly by Kriner. The stonework was directed by John Ittenbach, president of G. Ittenbach.

Save Outdoor Sculpture, Indiana survey, 1994.

Source: Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum, P.O. Box 37012, MRC 970, Washington, D.C. 20013-7012

SOS! Link: siris-artinventories.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?&profile=…

Located at St. Mary’s Church, www.saintmarysindy.org/

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]
Indianapolis churches
Image by WikiProject Public Art
Limestone figures and relief panels adorn the facade of a church. Three relief panels are set in the Gothic arched tympanum of the three main entrances to the church. The relief on the left depicts the Nativity. An angel hovers over a manger. Joseph stands on the proper left and Mary on the proper right. The center relief depicts the Crucifixion. Christ hangs on the cross in the center of the relief. He is flanked by Roman soldiers. Immediately beneath the cross are Mary (on the proper left), Mary Magdalene and St. John (on the proper right). The relief on the right depicts the Ascension. Christ hovers amidst radiating light, and is flanked by two awestruck kneeling figures. In addition to the reliefs, three full-length figures are set in individual niches high on the church facade. The figure of the Blessed Mother stands beneath the main gable facing west. Her hands are folded at her heart. The figure of St. Henry of Bavaria faces west. He holds a scale model church in his proper left hand. A figure of St. Boniface of Fulda is located beneath a gable. He wears a mitre and holds a crozier in his proper right hand. Twenty-two gargoyles and grotesques decorate recessed areas and the eaves around the entire facade of the building.

The church was dedicated in 1912. Sangernebo sculpted the gargoyles, and possibly the relief panels above the main entrance. The figures of St. Boniface, the Blessed Mother, and St. Henry are possibly by Kriner. The stonework was directed by John Ittenbach, president of G. Ittenbach.

Save Outdoor Sculpture, Indiana survey, 1994.

Source: Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum, P.O. Box 37012, MRC 970, Washington, D.C. 20013-7012

SOS! Link: siris-artinventories.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?&profile=…

Located at St. Mary’s Church, www.saintmarysindy.org/

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]
Indianapolis churches
Image by WikiProject Public Art
Limestone figures and relief panels adorn the facade of a church. Three relief panels are set in the Gothic arched tympanum of the three main entrances to the church. The relief on the left depicts the Nativity. An angel hovers over a manger. Joseph stands on the proper left and Mary on the proper right. The center relief depicts the Crucifixion. Christ hangs on the cross in the center of the relief. He is flanked by Roman soldiers. Immediately beneath the cross are Mary (on the proper left), Mary Magdalene and St. John (on the proper right). The relief on the right depicts the Ascension. Christ hovers amidst radiating light, and is flanked by two awestruck kneeling figures. In addition to the reliefs, three full-length figures are set in individual niches high on the church facade. The figure of the Blessed Mother stands beneath the main gable facing west. Her hands are folded at her heart. The figure of St. Henry of Bavaria faces west. He holds a scale model church in his proper left hand. A figure of St. Boniface of Fulda is located beneath a gable. He wears a mitre and holds a crozier in his proper right hand. Twenty-two gargoyles and grotesques decorate recessed areas and the eaves around the entire facade of the building.

The church was dedicated in 1912. Sangernebo sculpted the gargoyles, and possibly the relief panels above the main entrance. The figures of St. Boniface, the Blessed Mother, and St. Henry are possibly by Kriner. The stonework was directed by John Ittenbach, president of G. Ittenbach.

Save Outdoor Sculpture, Indiana survey, 1994.

Source: Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum, P.O. Box 37012, MRC 970, Washington, D.C. 20013-7012

SOS! Link: siris-artinventories.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?&profile=…

Located at St. Mary’s Church, www.saintmarysindy.org/

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]

Figures on St. Mary’s Church by Sangernebo, Alexander; Kriner, William (1911) [Control # IAS IN001087]
Indianapolis churches
Image by WikiProject Public Art
Limestone figures and relief panels adorn the facade of a church. Three relief panels are set in the Gothic arched tympanum of the three main entrances to the church. The relief on the left depicts the Nativity. An angel hovers over a manger. Joseph stands on the proper left and Mary on the proper right. The center relief depicts the Crucifixion. Christ hangs on the cross in the center of the relief. He is flanked by Roman soldiers. Immediately beneath the cross are Mary (on the proper left), Mary Magdalene and St. John (on the proper right). The relief on the right depicts the Ascension. Christ hovers amidst radiating light, and is flanked by two awestruck kneeling figures. In addition to the reliefs, three full-length figures are set in individual niches high on the church facade. The figure of the Blessed Mother stands beneath the main gable facing west. Her hands are folded at her heart. The figure of St. Henry of Bavaria faces west. He holds a scale model church in his proper left hand. A figure of St. Boniface of Fulda is located beneath a gable. He wears a mitre and holds a crozier in his proper right hand. Twenty-two gargoyles and grotesques decorate recessed areas and the eaves around the entire facade of the building.

The church was dedicated in 1912. Sangernebo sculpted the gargoyles, and possibly the relief panels above the main entrance. The figures of St. Boniface, the Blessed Mother, and St. Henry are possibly by Kriner. The stonework was directed by John Ittenbach, president of G. Ittenbach.

Save Outdoor Sculpture, Indiana survey, 1994.

Source: Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum, P.O. Box 37012, MRC 970, Washington, D.C. 20013-7012

SOS! Link: siris-artinventories.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?&profile=…

Located at St. Mary’s Church, www.saintmarysindy.org/

St. Mary’s Church

St. Mary’s Church
St Church
Image by Mike Schaffner
I drove up to Plantersville to see one of the famous painted churches as the inaugural run for my new camera. St. Mary’s Church is a beautiful little church. It’s one of the famous "Texas Painted Churches"

This was built in 1917 and has recently been restored to its former glory. It features colorful stencils on beaded board. I was fortunate to meet the pastor Fr. Ed Kucera, "Father Ed", who was kind enough to give me some of the history and point out some of the areas where they uncovered some original artwork. More information is at www.smsj.org/mt/smsj/father_eds_desk/000007.php

St Mary’s Bridport – South Street, Bridport – church sign / noticeboard

St Mary’s Bridport – South Street, Bridport – church sign / noticeboard
Chairs for church
Image by ell brown
The town of Bridport in Dorset – it is the gateway to West Bay and the Jurassic Coast.

Down South Street in Bridport.

Church on South Street – St Mary’s Bridport.

Grade A listed.

Parish Church of St Mary, Bridport

1.
5191 SOUTH STREET
(West Side)

Parish Church of
St Mary [formerly
listed under General]

SY 4692 1/1 28.11.50

A GV

2.
Transepts (except for terminal windows) C13. Otherwise late C14 (work in
progress 1397; dedications in 1362, 1403 and 1486). 2 E bays of nave 1858-60
chancel and chancel chapels 1860; architect John Hicks of Dorchester (to
whom Thomas Hardy was apprenticed), see also Nos 78-84 St Andrew s Road.
6 bay nave and aisles, 2 storey porch and outer chapel, transepts, crossing
with crossing tower, chancel and flanking chancel chapels. Perpendicular font,
wood pulpit and stained glass. C13 efigy of reclining knight. Bull
monument in south transept. Brass to Coker (killed in Monmouth’s Rebellion)
in fat Baroque wooden frame. 2 scratched marble tablets (1 by Chideock tomb,
and 1 in St Katherine’s Chapel). Rococo tablet in north transept. C17 oak
chair.

Parish Church of St Mary, the churchyard walls, the War Memorial, and wall to the
Vicarage Garden form a group.

Listing NGR: SY4657792600

Church sign / noticeboard