Tag Archives: Historical

Historical Records and Studies (Volume 2, PT. 2)

Historical Records and Studies (Volume 2, PT. 2)

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1901. Excerpt: … REGISTER OF THE CLERGY LABORING EST THE ARCHDIOCESE OF NEW YORK FROM EARLY MISSIONARY TIMES TO 1885. By The Most Rev. Michael Augustine Corrigan, D.D. IV. Hughes, Most Rev. John, D.D., Fourth Bishop And First Archbishop Of New York. The Most Rev. John Hughes was born at Annaloghan, County Tyrone, Ireland, on the feast of St. John the Baptist, June 24, 1797. From early youth he desired to serve God in the holy priesthood, and directed all his studies to that end. At the age of twenty he rejoined his father, who had already emigrated to this country, and soon afterwards entered Mount St. Mary’s College, Emmittsburg, Md. On Oct. 15, 1826, he was ordained priest by Bishop Conwell, in St. Joseph’s Church, Philadelphia. His first appointment, which lasted only a few weeks, was that of locum tenens for the Rev. Thomas Hey den, of Bedford, Pa. In January, 1827, he was recalled to St. Joseph’s, Philadelphia, and in April of that year was named pastor of St. Mary’s, in succession to the celebrated Father Harold. He soon returned to St. Joseph’s, and afterwards built and became pastor of St. John’s Church, Thirteenth Street above Chestnut, which was then considered one of the finest in the United States. During this period he also founded St. John’s Orphan Asylum, which is still extant and flourishing, with 468 boys as its wards. During the same period he carried on a controversy with Rev. Dr. Breckinridge, of the Presbyterian Church, a controversy which attracted universal attention to Father Hughes and added fresh laurels to his alreadywell-known and honored name. On January 7, 1838, Dr. Hughes was consecrated Bishop of Basilopolis and Coadjutor of ISTew York, by his old friend and college president, Bishop Dubois, assisted by Bishops Fenwick, of Boston, and Kenri…

List Price: $ 19.99

Price: $ 15.00

Are there any historical evidences for the claims made by the Roman Catholic Church?

Question by George John: Are there any historical evidences for the claims made by the Roman Catholic Church?
Is there any evidences for the following

1) Roman catholic church was started in 33 AD
2) Peter was the pope and there was unbroken line of history since 33 AD?
3) That their church was the ONLY church of early Christianity? Did no other sect exist till the legalization of Christianity in Rome?

I DO NOT want any biblical verses (about Peter, Rock, One church, binding, loosing, pillar and Foundation etc etc….) For, the purpose of this question, I wont consider the Biblical verses.

I am interested in HISTORICAL evidences which are verified and acknowledged by all historians (not just catholics)

Best answer:

Answer by Flawed_logic
1) The Roman Catholic Church Historically isn’t considered real until really Leo the Great. Prior to this it was considered part of Proto-Orthodoxy, explained in (3). The 33ad is considered the Spiritual date. Others would argue that the construction of St. Peter’s Basilica under constantine is the start.

2) This is a subject of debate, but it is plausible. Rome would be the successor as that is Peter’s “resting place”. Rome had a high Jewish population, which would’ve attracted Peter there, and was a center of learning and teaching. It was also a well established tradition by the first century that Peter died in Rome, which is why it should be given at least some credence. From here, the successor of Rome is considered the Spiritual successor to Peter. This is the so called “unbroken chain”

3) There were many Churches at the time, something embraced by Catholicism. As a matter of fact, there were literally hundreds, many competing for dominance with Proto-Orthodoxy (what we have today). The Church says that Proto-Orthodoxy was the one true Chruch, and that all others (Ebionite, Marcionites, Gnostics, etc.) were false/heresies. That is why they say there is only one early Church.

The primary statement on this is found in the Nicene Creed, which was used as a metaphorical fence around Proto-Orthodoxy. It directly attacks other sect’s beliefs and states Proto-Orthodoxy’s own.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

First Baptist Church of Arlington, Arlington, Texas Historical Marker

First Baptist Church of Arlington, Arlington, Texas Historical Marker
First Baptist Church
Image by fables98
In the 1870s this church was organized at Johnson Station, an early Tarrant County settlement and stagecoach stop. In 1876 the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line through the area and founded Arlington. The church and other institutions moved to the new town. Worship services were held at several meeting sites before the congregation built a sanctuary at Pecan and Abram Streets in 1917. That Church building burned in 1944, and an auditorium was constructed on South Center Street in 1947. A new sanctuary at this location was added in 1959. (1982)

HISTORICAL FACTS: “THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY” ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH & ITS GLOBAL JESUIT AGENDA

History is of supreme importance as it is the storehouse of lessons comprehended from the past. This presentation of actual historical facts concerning Roman…

Saint Mark Baptist Church McKinney Texas Historical Marker

Saint Mark Baptist Church McKinney Texas Historical Marker
Church names
Image by fables98
The congregation was organized in 1879 by two preachers, the Rev. Dick White and a Rev. Jones, who conducted prayer meetings in area homes. The first church services were held on the farm of Isaac Graves, northeast of McKinney. Originally known as the Free Missionary Baptist Church, the name became Saint Mark in 1886. That same year the church purchased this property and built a brush arbor. A one-room frame building served as the first sanctuary. The present brick edifice was constructed in 1960 during the 1942-1974 pastorate of the Rev. B.T. Jones. (1980) Incise on back: Church Families A. Beavers S. Bell Jr. R.GV. Cofield O.H. Ellis E. Jackson J. Jackson R. Jones E. Killion J. Mack B. Martin L. Newsome A.L. Pearson Geo. Pearson E.T. Robinson E. Smith L. Wattley W.J. Wattley Rev. Erie D. Fields, Pastor

First Baptist Church of Rice, Rice, Texas Historical Marker

First Baptist Church of Rice, Rice, Texas Historical Marker
First Baptist Church
Image by fables98
On Feb. 21, 1875, three years after a rail line was built to the area, a group of local residents met to organize this congregation. Early worship services were conducted in the community schoolhouse. In 1894 a sanctuary was constructed at this site on land acquired from Rice Institute, a Houston organization founded by railroadman William Marsh Rice, for whom this town was named. For over a century, the First Baptist Church has led in the development of the area. Its role in the community continues to reflect the ideals of its pioneer founders.

First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch, Farmers Branch, Texas Historical Marker

First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch, Farmers Branch, Texas Historical Marker
First Baptist Church
Image by fables98
Thomas and Sarah Keenan settled in Farmers Branch in 1842. They established a family cemetery when they buried their infant son on this site the following year. With the Rev. David Myers, the Keenans organized the Union Baptist Church in 1846, meeting in a structure on cemetery property. That group of Baptists moved to nearby Carrollton; in 1870, in order to reestablish Baptist worship in Farmers Branch, twelve members of the Union Baptist Church organized the Farmers Branch Missionary Baptist Church. Services were first held in the Farmers Branch School, which was probably located about two miles east of the cemetery. The first pastor was the Rev. George W. Good, whose parents had settled in the area many years before. By 1877, church membership had grown to 96. Deed records indicate that ownership of the property on this site was transferred from Thomas Keenan to trustees of the Farmers Branch Missionary Baptist Church in 1893. The congregation grew steadily, and many changes took place after 1930. In 1931 a new church building was erected, and another addition was made in 1944. The name of the church was changed to First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch in 1951. An auditorium was erected in 1956, and a church library was established in 1959. As membership continued to increase, new structures were erected, such as two educational buildings in 1960 and 1963 and a new sanctuary in 1986. The First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch supports such organizations as the Woman’s Missionary Union and the brotherhood program. The church follows in the traditions of its ancestors through domestic and foreign mission work, community service, religious education and worship. (1999)

First Baptist Church of Johnson City, Johnson City, Texas Historical Marker

First Baptist Church of Johnson City, Johnson City, Texas Historical Marker
First Baptist Church
Image by fables98
In 1879, on July 19-20 or August 16-17, seven members formed the Missionary Baptist Church of Christ, present First Baptist Church. The Rev. James E. Bell (b. 1843) held services in the schoolhouse. Lumber for the original church building, erected here in 1900, was hauled in wagons from Austin. A 5,500-square feet building dedicated in 1951 and destroyed by fire in 1966 was replaced by the present structure in 1968. Some members of President Lyndon B. Johnson’s family attended this church. In 1978 mission work of the church expanded to include sponsorship of Pedernales Valley Mission. (1979)