Tag Archives: Historic

Historic St Peter’s Episcopal Church, Lewes – 42″H x 28″W – Peel and Stick Wall Decal by Wallmonkeys

Historic St Peter’s Episcopal Church, Lewes – 42″H x 28″W – Peel and Stick Wall Decal by Wallmonkeys

  • Simply Peel and Stick! Remove and re-use.
  • Sticks to virtually any painted surface.
  • Can be moved again and again. No professional installation required.
  • Printed, packed, and shipped in the USA!
  • Please be sure you ordered the right size for your intended use.

WallMonkeys uses premium materials & state-of-the-art production technologies. Our wall graphics apply in minutes and won’t damage your paint or leave any residue behind. PLEASE double check the size of the image you are ordering prior to clicking the ‘ADD TO CART’ button. Our graphics are offered in a variety of sizes and prices.

  • WallMonkeys are intended for indoor use only.
  • Please do not wash or get the surface of your Wallmonkeys decal wet.
  • We suggest at least two people to help apply decals 48 inches or larger.
  • Your order will ship within 3 business days, often sooner. Some orders require the full 3 days to allow dark colors and inks to fully dry prior to shipping. Quality is worth waiting an extra day for!
  • Our huge selection of decals are perfect for virtually any use: school projects, trade shows, teachers classrooms, colleges, nurseries, college dorms, event planners, and corporations of all size.

    List Price: $ 64.99

    Price: $ 64.99

  • Historic Strawberry Schoolhouse – dunce chair in the corner

    Historic Strawberry Schoolhouse – dunce chair in the corner
    Chairs for church
    Image by Al_HikesAZ
    The Oldest Standing Schoolhouse in Arizona dating back to 1884. This is special to me because my Grandmother was a school marm in territorial Arizona and into statehood. From Globe to Aguila to Somerton.

    www.pinestrawhs.org/schoolhouse.html
    The year was 1884. The families living in the Strawberry Valley, Yavapai County, in Arizona Territory petitioned the County School Superintendent to establish a school. The petition was granted and District #33 in the Strawberry Valley was established.

    A local dispute over the site for the school building was solved by cowboys using a calf rope and counting the number of lengths between the Hicks-Duncan cabin on the west end of the valley and the Peach cabin on the east end. They retraced their steps to the mid-point. There the one room log school was built and still stands.

    Fine pine logs were cut and dragged to the site, squared with a broad axe and adze, then hoisted into position. Shingles were split for the shake roof and glass windows were installed, two on the east side and two on the west. They were double-hung and could be raised and lowered. A bell hung over the door on the south side and a wood burning stove sat in the middle of the room.

    Friendship between local resident LaFayette Nash and Yavapai School Superintendent, Bucky O’Neill, resulted more elegant interior finish than was "average." Wainscoting reached from the floor to a height of four feet. Cloth was stretched and nailed above that and wallpaper was glued to the cloth. The ceiling was originally cloth but was later replaced with wood. The floor was made of 1" x 12" sawn boards. Sections of stone slate extended across the north wall for a blackboard. The usual wooden benches and tables were by-passed in favor of factory-made desks seating two children each. Other furnishings included a teacher’s desk and chair, a world globe, dictionary and clock. The school, also, would serve as meeting place, social center and church. An organ was included in the furnishings.

    The school was under Yavapai jurisdiction until a change in the county boundary in 1889. As part of Gila County, it became District #11 and remained until it was permanently closed in June of 1916. With school furniture removed, the building was used as a temporary residence by many newcomers to the valley. Moveable parts were "borrowed" and it slowly became uninhabitable. By 1961, nothing remained of the structure but the log frame and it was FOR SALE.

    Fred Eldean, an official in the Page Land and Cattle Company, bought the building and site and gave the deed to the Payson-Pine Chamber of Commerce. By 1967, local residents had restored the old structure to a point where it was secure and weather-proof. So it stood awaiting the next step in its restoration. By this time, it belonged to the Arizona Historical Society. In 1979 and 1980, the newly formed Pine/Strawberry Archeological and Historical Society decided to restore the interior and open the school to the public. Thanks to old-timers who had either taught in or attended the school, their descendants, and hundreds of interested, helpful residents, the Strawberry School was formally dedicated as a Historical Monument on August 15, 1981.

    The school is located on Fossil Creek Road in Strawberry, Arizona and is open to the public from May through mid-October on weekends and holidays. Group tours can be arranged at other times by writing to the Pine-Strawberry Archeological and Historical Society, Inc., at P. O. Box 564, Pine, AZ 85544.

    Detail of an Edward Burne-Jones window at Historic Second Church

    Detail of an Edward Burne-Jones window at Historic Second Church
    Church furniture
    Image by yooperann
    One of a pair of gorgeous stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones of the William Morris & Co studios. The windows were included in a 1902 "Morris Memorial Room" at the Tobey Furniture Company in Chicago. A church member named Franklin Gray purchased them for 2nd Presbyterian.

    This is St. Margaret, the patron saint of childbirth.

    Friends of Historic Second Church

    Trinity Church Historic Site Marker

    Trinity Church Historic Site Marker
    Trinity Church
    Image by SheepGuardingLlama
    Historic Site – Trinity Church. Newark’s second oldest house of worship was organized in the 1730s, and chartered by the Church of England (forerunnger of the Episcopal Church in America) in 1746. Part of the tower dates from 1743, but most of the present church was built in 1810. It was designed by Captain Josiah James, a leading parishioner, in a medley of styles. Trinity was designated the cathedral of the Diocese of Newark in 1944. It is the nation’s oldest Episcopal cathedral building, and the mother church of many New Jersey parishes. St. Philip’s Church merged with Trinity in 1966. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

    Church earns historic marker

    Church earns historic marker
    Summary:  The 100-year-old White Deer United Methodist Church is scheduled to be presented an official historical marker by the Texas Historical Commission. The 100-year-old White Deer United Methodist Church is scheduled to be presented an official historical marker by the Texas Historical Commission. read more
    Read more on Amarillo Globe-News

    Church uses theater to address gay rights
    Social issues are subject at Oak Park church’s cabaret The Rev. Jerry Miller contemplated suicide when he was 15, to end the guilt he felt for being gay. He credits the youth minister at his church for saving his life and vows to pay it forward.
    Read more on 22 WSBT South Bend

    LDS Church sets rededication, open house for Atlanta temple
    Closed for renovations for the past 21 months, the LDS Church’s Atlanta Georgia Temple is scheduled for rededication in May…
    Read more on Deseret News

    Historic Print (M): [Addition of a Sunday school building to Calvary Baptist Church, 8th Street between G St

    Historic Print (M): [Addition of a Sunday school building to Calvary Baptist Church, 8th Street between G St

    • Typical Image Size: 11×14″, Print Size: 16×20.
    • Decorate with history or give a tasteful gift.
    • Only premiere quality framing materials used.

    This is a museum quality, reproduction print on premium paper with archival/UV resistant inks.

    Date: and Engineering (ADE) Drawings” (http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/103_ade.html).”

    Subject: (b&w film copy neg.) cph 3c14137 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c14137

    Notes: 1 drawing : charcoal on tracing paper.

    Format: Forms part of: Arthur B. Heaton Archive.

    SOURCE: Library of Congress

    Price: $ 37.00

    A Historic Market Town in Great Britain

    A Historic Market Town in Great Britain

    Chesterfield is a historic market town. It lies north of Derby, on a confluence of the rivers Rother and Hipper. Chesterfield is Derbyshire’s second largest town. In the early 20th century Chesterfield at last became industrialised. A heavy engineering industry grew up and prospered here.


    In 1766 the first canal-building boom had started in Chesterfield. Of all the proposed cargoes coal was considered the most important because the fledgling Canal Company aimed to undersell the rival south Yorkshire coal fields. The most famous item carried was stone to rebuild the Houses of Parliament in the 1840s


    Chesterfield Market with more than 250 stalls crowds into the town centre every Monday, Friday and Saturday. The open air market has been going since at least 1165. It celebrated the 800th anniversary of its official foundation in 2004.


    The Pavements Centre offers twenty-first century shopping behind a disguise of historic buildings. Vicar Lane was redeveloped in 2000 to become a pedestrianised, open-air shopping area. The near by narrow cobbled streets of The Shambles have pavement cafes and hosts of ancient shops, and the half-timbered Elizabethan, Royal Oak, the oldest inn in town.


    Bolsover Castle is a romantic residence built by Sir Charles Cavendish in 1612 and completed by his son William. There is out standing craftsmanship every where the rich panelling, elaborate fire places and painted ceilings. It has a glorious enclosed garden, step into the magnificent indoor riding school and be enlightened by the audio-tour and the interactive model of the castle.


    St Mary and All Saints, the Crooked Spire Church is a famous landmark, and has stood in the centre of Chesterfield for more than 700 years. The spire is not only twisted but it also leans to the south. It is possible to see the spire from any where in Chesterfield. It was straight for several centuries before it began to twist, probably as a result of unseasoned timber being used for its construction. The Spire stands 228 feet from the ground and leans 9 feet 5 inches from its true centre.


    George Stephenson is buried at the Holy Trinity church on Newbold Road. He died, aged 67, on 12 August 1848 at Tapton House in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. He was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Chesterfield, along side his second wife. A bronze statue of Stephenson was unveiled at Chesterfield railway station on 28 October 2005, which is over looked by Tapton House, where Stephenson spent the last ten years of his life.

    Douglas Scott writes for The Car Hire Specialist. and is a free lance writer for The Chesterfield Rental Site