Tag Archives: Downtown

Michigan Wedding Video at St. Johns Episcopal Church in Downtown Detroit

The Michigan wedding video was shot at St. Johns Episcopal Church in Downtown Detroit located right next to Comerica Park. The wedding Reception took place at the Roostertail along the Detroit River. Keepsake Video & Photo www.keepsakevideo.net http
Video Rating: 5 / 5

First Baptist Church, Nashville, TN – A Vibrant and Thriving Downtown Church

First Baptist Church, Nashville, TN was founded in 1820. This Church is linked to a glorious past and is certain to have a bright future in the heart of downtown Nashville, Tennessee. In 1891, The Baptist Sunday School Board, now known as Lifeway Christian Resources, was founded in the pastor’s study of this historic church. Also, the Tennessee Baptist Children’s Home had its beginning at First Baptist Church. The historic 200 ft. tall Gothic tower at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Broadway that graces the beautiful Nashville skyline symbolizes a glorious past while the present Sanctuary is a symbol of the church’s continuing ministry in the heart of downtown Nashville, as well as Davidson, the surrounding counties, and around the world. Please visit our church’s website at www.firstbaptistnashville.org for a worship schedule as well as other activities and events. View this video to see the past, present, and future First Baptist members enjoy as they study, sing, travel, minister, and praise God together. *****Created by Michael Valentine*******
Video Rating: 4 / 5

O_15A College Hill – Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) (Federal Hill) – 352 Atwells Avenue (at Sutton Street) on the Left and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) (Downtown) – 90 Smith Street in the Center

O_15A College Hill – Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) (Federal Hill) – 352 Atwells Avenue (at Sutton Street) on the Left and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) (Downtown) – 90 Smith Street in the Center
roman church
Image by California Cthulhu (Will Hart)
Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) – 352 Atwells Avenue and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) – 90 Smith Street – as Frame. The Masonic Temple (1929) at 5 Avenue of the Arts is just to the left of the State House. The House at Pratt and Bowen Streets is in the Foreground

——————————–

H. P. Lovecraft enjoyed spending warm afternoons reading and writing here; and he was one of the park’s most frequent visitors. The view from here was also one of Lovecraft’s favorites of Providence; and is beautifully described in "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." It’s easy to see why this was one of his favorite haunts; and has now become one of the favorite haunts and photo spots for his fans.

Lovecraft might have been describing his own childhood, instead of that of the young Charles Dexter Ward, when he wrote the following as part of "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward": "The nurse used to stop and sit on the benches of Prospect Terrace to chat with policemen; and one of the child’s first memories was of the great westward sea of hazy roofs and domes and steeples and far hills which he saw one winter afternoon from that great railed embankment, and violet and mystic against a fevered, apocalyptic sunset of reds and golds and purples and curious greens. The vast marble dome of the State House stood out in massive silhouette, its crowning statue haloed fantastically by a break in one of the tinted stratus clouds that barred the flaming sky."

——————————–

And Lovecraft’s description of St. John’s in "The Haunter of the Dark" still says it the best, "Of all the distant objects on Federal Hill, a certain huge, dark church most fascinated Blake. It stood out with especial distinctness at certain hours of the day, and at sunset the great tower and tapering steeple loomed blackly against the flaming sky. It seemed to rest on especially high ground; for the grimy facade, and the obliquely seen north side with sloping roof and the tops of great pointed windows, rose boldly above the tangle of surrounding ridgepoles and chimney-pots. Peculiarly grim and austere, it appeared to be built of stone, stained and weathered with the smoke and storms of a century and more. The style, so far as the glass could show, was that earliest experimental form of Gothic revival which preceded the stately Upjohn period and held over some of the outlines and proportions of the Georgian age."

——————————–

The former Masonic Temple building (never completed due to construction stopping at the time of the Great Depression in 1929) is now the Renaissance Providence Hotel (opened 2007), a great symbol of the success of the Most Endangered Properties List. After being on the List for ten years, all of Providence was able to watch this “white elephant” transform into a luxury hotel. This project has been called “the largest historic restoration project in Rhode Island history”.

Photo taken by Will Hart on 20-August-1990.

B_10 College Hill – Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) (Federal Hill) – 352 Atwells Avenue (at Sutton Street) and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) (Downtown) – 90 Smith Street – as Frame

B_10 College Hill – Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) (Federal Hill) – 352 Atwells Avenue (at Sutton Street) and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) (Downtown) – 90 Smith Street – as Frame
roman church
Image by California Cthulhu (Will Hart)
Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) – 352 Atwells Avenue and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) – 90 Smith Street – as Frame. The Masonic Temple (1929) (now Renaissance Providence Hotel) at 5 Avenue of the Arts is just to the left of the State House. – The House at Pratt and Bowen Streets is in the foreground.

——————————–

H. P. Lovecraft might have been describing his own childhood, instead of that of the young Charles Dexter Ward, when he wrote the following as part of "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward": "The nurse used to stop and sit on the benches of Prospect Terrace to chat with policemen; and one of the child’s first memories was of the great westward sea of hazy roofs and domes and steeples and far hills which he saw one winter afternoon from that great railed embankment, and violet and mystic against a fevered, apocalyptic sunset of reds and golds and purples and curious greens. The vast marble dome of the State House stood out in massive silhouette, its crowning statue haloed fantastically by a break in one of the tinted stratus clouds that barred the flaming sky."

Lovecraft enjoyed spending warm afternoons reading and writing here; and he was one of the park’s most frequent visitors. The view from here was also one of Lovecraft’s favorites of Providence; and is beautifully described in "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." It’s easy to see why this was one of his favorite haunts; and has now become one of the favorite haunts and photo spots for his fans.

——————————–

And Lovecraft’s description of St. John’s in "The Haunter of the Dark" still says it the best, "Of all the distant objects on Federal Hill, a certain huge, dark church most fascinated Blake. It stood out with especial distinctness at certain hours of the day, and at sunset the great tower and tapering steeple loomed blackly against the flaming sky. It seemed to rest on especially high ground; for the grimy facade, and the obliquely seen north side with sloping roof and the tops of great pointed windows, rose boldly above the tangle of surrounding ridgepoles and chimney-pots. Peculiarly grim and austere, it appeared to be built of stone, stained and weathered with the smoke and storms of a century and more. The style, so far as the glass could show, was that earliest experimental form of Gothic revival which preceded the stately Upjohn period and held over some of the outlines and proportions of the Georgian age."

——————————–

The former Masonic Temple building (never completed due to construction stopping at the time of the Great Depression in 1929) is now the Renaissance Providence Hotel (opened 2007), a great symbol of the success of the Most Endangered Properties List. After being on the List for ten years, all of Providence was able to watch this “white elephant” transform into a luxury hotel. This project has been called “the largest historic restoration project in Rhode Island history”.

Photo taken by Will Hart on 17-August-1990.

B_11 College Hill – Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) (Federal Hill) – 352 Atwells Avenue (at Sutton Street) and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) (Downtown) – 90 Smith Street – as Frame

B_11 College Hill – Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) (Federal Hill) – 352 Atwells Avenue (at Sutton Street) and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) (Downtown) – 90 Smith Street – as Frame
roman church
Image by California Cthulhu (Will Hart)
Looking West from Prospect Terrace – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church (1871) – 352 Atwells Avenue and Rhode Island State House (1895-1904) – 90 Smith Street – as Frame. The Masonic Temple (1929) at 5 Avenue of the Arts is just to the left of the State House. – The House at Pratt and Bowen Streets is in the foreground.

——————————–

H. P. Lovecraft enjoyed spending warm afternoons reading and writing here; and he was one of the park’s most frequent visitors. The view from here was also one of Lovecraft’s favorites of Providence; and is beautifully described in "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." It’s easy to see why this was one of his favorite haunts; and has now become one of the favorite haunts and photo spots for his fans.

Lovecraft might have been describing his own childhood, instead of that of the young Charles Dexter Ward, when he wrote the following as part of "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward": "The nurse used to stop and sit on the benches of Prospect Terrace to chat with policemen; and one of the child’s first memories was of the great westward sea of hazy roofs and domes and steeples and far hills which he saw one winter afternoon from that great railed embankment, and violet and mystic against a fevered, apocalyptic sunset of reds and golds and purples and curious greens. The vast marble dome of the State House stood out in massive silhouette, its crowning statue haloed fantastically by a break in one of the tinted stratus clouds that barred the flaming sky."

——————————–

And Lovecraft’s description of St. John’s in "The Haunter of the Dark" still says it the best, "Of all the distant objects on Federal Hill, a certain huge, dark church most fascinated Blake. It stood out with especial distinctness at certain hours of the day, and at sunset the great tower and tapering steeple loomed blackly against the flaming sky. It seemed to rest on especially high ground; for the grimy facade, and the obliquely seen north side with sloping roof and the tops of great pointed windows, rose boldly above the tangle of surrounding ridgepoles and chimney-pots. Peculiarly grim and austere, it appeared to be built of stone, stained and weathered with the smoke and storms of a century and more. The style, so far as the glass could show, was that earliest experimental form of Gothic revival which preceded the stately Upjohn period and held over some of the outlines and proportions of the Georgian age."

——————————–

The former Masonic Temple building (never completed due to construction stopping at the time of the Great Depression in 1929) is now the Renaissance Providence Hotel (opened 2007), a great symbol of the success of the Most Endangered Properties List. After being on the List for ten years, all of Providence was able to watch this “white elephant” transform into a luxury hotel. This project has been called “the largest historic restoration project in Rhode Island history”.

Photo taken by Will Hart on 17-August-1990.

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church

Montréal – Downtown Montréal: Cathédrale Christ Church
church christ
Image by wallyg
Cathédrale Christ Church (Christ Church Anglican Cathedral), at 1444 avenue Union, was built in Neo-Gothic style from 1856 to 1859 by Frank Wills and consecrated in 1867. The current building replaces the original cathedral located on rue Notre-Dame that was destroyed by a fire in 1856. Christ Church has served as the cathedral for the Anglican Diocese of Montréal since it separated the after it separated from the Diocese of Québec, and is the regimental church of the Montréal infantry regiment The Canadian Grenadier Guards, and retired colours of the Regiment are on display in an alcove inside the cathedral.

The design, though acclaimed for its architecture, suffered from important engineering flaws. The soft ground could not support the heavy central stone tower, which began to subside and lean, so the steeple had to be removed in 1927. New foundations were poured in 1939, and in 1940, an anonymous donation permitted the construction of a much lighter steeple made of aluminum, molded to simulate the former stone spire. It is 28 metres high, attaining a height of 70 metres off the ground.

In 1987, some older buildings north of the Cathedral were demolished, and the land leased to developers who built the office tower and underground mall, La Place de La Cathédrale. During construction, braced with a complicated series of pre-stressed concrete columns and beams, which supported the building in mid-air while the shopping mall was excavated. The office tower includes space for the Diocesan offices, and the mall includes a Canadian Bible Society outlet, an Anglican bookstore and a space called the Undercroft which includes the cathedral’s Sunday school, drop-in centre, and practice rooms. The rent paid to the Church, approximately 0,000, helps to pay for the upkeep of the cathedral.

Milwaukee (WIS) Downtown, St Mary’s Roman Catholic church ” green fire “

Milwaukee (WIS) Downtown, St Mary’s Roman Catholic church ” green fire “
roman church
Image by Vincent Desjardins
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJjSCei5_2g

St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church
844 N. Broadway
Built: 1847

Construction began the year Milwaukee became a city. It is the city’s oldest German Roman Catholic Church, and is now its oldest church. The painting of the Annunciation, over the altar, was a gift from King Ludwig I of Bavaria.