Port St. Lucie church celebrates 10 years of soup kitchen service to needy

Port St. Lucie church celebrates 10 years of soup kitchen service to needy
PORT ST. LUCIE — Every Thursday evening, Faith Congregational Church in Port St. Lucie transforms into a soup kitchen for the soul.
Read more on St. Lucie News Tribune

Time capsule contains bit of irony
As others have learned, to beat the drums on the opening of a time capsule is to roll the dice as well. Twenty-five years ago, a flaky reporter, Geraldo Rivera, went live on TV to unveil gangster Al Capone’s secret vault. It contained — drum roll — nothing. So First …
Read more on The Register-Guard

Church in Taipei opens after-school care and tutoring class for struggling families in the neighborh (Taiwan Church N …
3080 Edition March 7~13, 2011 Church Ministry News Church in Taipei opens after-school care and tutoring class for struggling families in the neighborhood Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong Written by Lydia Ma “Ma’am, may I eat one?” asked a little Aborigine boy excitedly eyeing the irresistible freshly baked bread topped with cream cheese before him and fully taking in its fragrant aroma.
Read more on Worldwide Faith News

Hillsborough church celebrates two decades of worship

Hillsborough church celebrates two decades of worship
HILLSBOROUGH — In the next two decades, New Horizon Christian Fellowship Church Pastor Tim Wolf envisions a more permanent place for his flock to worship and the number of congregants to double.
Read more on MyCentralJersey.com

Hillsborough church celebrates two decades of worship
HILLSBOROUGH — In the next two decades, New Horizon Christian Fellowship Church Pastor Tim Wolf envisions a more permanent place for his flock to worship and the number of congregants to double.
Read more on MyCentralJersey.com

Hillsborough church celebrates two decades of worship
HILLSBOROUGH — In the next two decades, New Horizon Christian Fellowship Church Pastor Tim Wolf envisions a more permanent place for his flock to worship and the number of congregants to double.
Read more on MyCentralJersey.com

Grace Church celebrates 125th anniversary

Grace Church celebrates 125th anniversary
SHAMOKIN – Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, West Chestnut Street, Shamokin, celebrated its 125th anniversary Sunday with a special Reformation Day service.The Rev. Robert L. Driesen, bishop of the Upper Susquehanna Synod-ELCA, presided and preached fo
Read more on The Shamokin News-Item

Church puts on annual Harvest Fun Festival
Setting up the 62 refrigerator boxes that snaked through Grace Fellowship Church’s sanctuary took two nights of work. It took Angela Berger’s two children — Brandon, 8, and Cameron, 7 — just a couple of minutes to wriggle their way through the maze on hands and knees.
Read more on The Iowa City Press-Citizen

Big Buck Classic/Wild Game Feed set for Saturday
A Big Buck Classic/Wild Game Feed will be held on Saturday, at the Victory Assembly of God Church, 15705 Kentucky Rd, about 1/10 mile east off of Hwy Bus. 60 (which is North College in Neosho).
Read more on The Neosho Daily News

Odyssey Networks Celebrates the Annual Day of Prayer with Special Web Programs

Odyssey Networks Celebrates the Annual Day of Prayer with Special Web Programs

New York, NY (Vocus) May 6, 2010

This Thursday, Americans of diverse faith traditions will unite to observe the 59th National Day of Prayer in their homes, houses of worship and special assemblies. This year, Odyssey Networks will provide a new gathering place: virtual prayer venue on http://www.odysseynetworks.org and on Facebook.com.

Visitors will be able to view exclusive videos of notable religious leaders, activists, and celebrities delivering their own original prayers. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, General Secretary for the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, will be among them, offering his personal prayer for peace.

Odyssey has created a special section on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/odysseynetworks where individuals can post their own prayers in text and upload video.

Odyssey, the nation’s largest non-profit multi-faith coalition dedicated to achieving tolerance and peace through media, is the founder of “A Million Minutes for Peace,” a campaign promoting prayers for peace at noon on the annual United Nations International Day of Peace (September 21).


Vocus©Copyright 1997-2010, Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.
Vocus, PRWeb and Publicity Wire are trademarks or registered trademarks of Vocus, Inc. or Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.

Dorcas community celebrates Pioneer Day (with photos)

Dorcas community celebrates Pioneer Day (with photos)
Dorcas residents celebrated Pioneer Day at the Dorcas Baptist Church with plenty of good food, music, and fellowship and a variety of pioneer activities from horse and buggy rides to a grease pole climbing contest. Click here to view a photo gallery…
Read more on Crestview News Bulletin

Cemetery story is not so simple
There is no question that the cemetery signs have been removed, but that report in the Daily News last week has brought to light a land dispute between two members of a family and a church in Angie. Both claim to own the property.
Read more on The Daily News

Bulletin Board
Read more on Sun-Sentinel

St. John?s Episcopal Church, America?s Oldest Anglican Parish in Continuous Existence, Celebrates 400th Anniversary this Year

Hampton, Virginia’s St. John’s Church is America’s Oldest Anglican Parish in continuous existence.

Hampton, VA (Vocus) March 30, 2010

In 2010, America’s Oldest Anglican (Episcopal) Parish in continuous existence will commemorate its 400th anniversary, complete with special events, activities, and services throughout the year. Established in 1610 when English colonists settled at Kecoughtan, the parish has survived four centuries of sometimes turbulent history in order to celebrate this fortunate milestone.

In 1610, English settlers established a community and church at the tip of the Virginia Peninsula, three years after the colonization of Jamestown. A small group of civilians and soldiers moved to the site located south and inland in order to escape the famine and disease that had plagued the original colony. There these settlers established St. John’s first parish site (1610-1623), which was located near present-day LaSalle and Chesapeake Avenues in Hampton. In 1623, the settlement had moved east of the Hampton River and a second parish site (1623-1667) was established on these grounds (what is now Hampton University).

The second site was abandoned in 1667 and that year the third parish site (1667-1728) was constructed on the west side of the Hampton River. In 1698, the vestry levied 400 pounds of tobacco to William Bailey to tear down the second parish church and to move the pews into the courthouse. Like the previous structure, the third church was a wood building and was used for about 60 years until it was moved to its current location. During the 18th century activity Hampton commerce and community centered on its busy port, (now Downtown Hampton) and the fourth (and final) parish site (1728-PRESENT) was constructed. Completed in 1728, the cruciform building was built with the sole purpose of being closer to the population base. During both the Revolutionary War and War of 1812, the British heavily damaged the church. In 1861, during the Civil War, the church was burned and only its walls remained standing. However, contributions were raised at the war’s end to restore and rebuild the sanctuary.

In 2010, St. John’s Episcopal Church will celebrate all four centuries, all four parishes, with highlighted events, including special services, activities, receptions, and one very special community project entitled Sole to Soul: Walk 400 Miles in Celebration of 400 Years. St. John’s is asking interested parties to form teams of walkers/hikers with the objective of accumulating 400 miles per team. Walkers are encouraged to seek pledges for miles walked, with the pledges going toward a cause of that particular team’s choosing. For information and pledge forms, contact St. John’s Church as 757/722-2567 or by email at office@stjohnshampton.org.

On July 9-11, the City of Hampton, Virginia will host its 400th Anniversary Celebration Weekend, complete with the Blackbeard Pirate Festival, dedication of Hampton’s historical marker series (created specifically for the 400th anniversary and produced in partnership with Civil War Trails), and events at The American Theatre and Hampton History Museum. St. John’s Church will host several activities this weekend, including a Celebration Dinner at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 10 at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina Hotel. The Presiding Bishop and Primate of the Episcopal Church, USA, The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts- Schori will attend as a special guest. The cost to attend the dinner is .00 per person.

On Sunday, July 11, St. John’s Episcopal Church will celebrate mass with Presiding Bishop, The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts-Schori and The Rt. Rev. Herman Hollerith, IV, Diocese of Southern Virginia. Many of Hampton’s city leaders will also be in attendance. The service takes place at 10:00 a.m. Seating will be conserved for members of St. John’s parish, with supplemental seating and simulcast available in St. John’s Fellowship Hall.

Following the service, the Virginia Air & Space Center will host a reception with a special anniversary cake sculpted in the form of St. John’s Church. The cake will be prepared by Charm City Cakes, the bakery featured on Food Network’s reality television program entitled “Ace of Cakes.” Charm City Cakes has decorated and designed cakes for Superbowl XLI, Baltimore Zoo, and the premiere of “Kung-Fu Panda”, among countless others. The reception begins at 12:00 noon and is free and open to the public.

St. John’s Episcopal Church is open to visitors weekdays 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. – noon. Tours may be arranged by contacting the church office at 757/722-2567.

For more information on St. John’s 400th anniversary, visit their website at www.stjohnshampton.org, call 757/722-2567, or email office@stjohnshampton.org. For further information on other Hampton events and programs regarding the city’s 400th anniversary, contact the Hampton Visitor Center at 757-727-1102 or visit www.hampton400.com.

Other St. John’s Episcopal Church Points of Interest:

    The oldest grave located at the church is of Captain Willis Wilson who died in 170l.
    Near the gates at the southwest corner of the churchyard are markers describing the remnants of the original enclosure wall dating from about 1759.
    Next to the south wall of the church stands a memorial to Virginia Laydon, the first surviving child born in the New World to English parents (born 1609). Laydon’s parents were members of the parish.
    Inside the building one can see the Pocahontas window given in 1887, in part, by Native American students from Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute, now Hampton University. The school was the first in the country to accept Native American students.
    On the chapel wall to the right of the small altar is an aumbry in which consecrated bread and wine are reserved. The door panel consists of pieces of 13th century stained glass from St. Helen’s Church, Willoughby, England. This is the parish in which Captain John Smith was baptized.
    The most cherished possession of the parish is the communion silver made in London in 1618 for the church community in Smith’s Hundred. When an Indian massacre destroyed that community, farther up the James River in 1622, Governor Yeardly took the chalice and patens to Jamestown. They were given to Elizabeth City Parish (St. John’s Episcopal Church) in 1627 and are still used on major feast days each year. It is the oldest communion silver in continuous use in the area of the United States colonized by the English.
    The parish retains its old vestry book dating to 1751, its large colonial Book of Common Prayer, a 1637 Book Prayer, and a 1599 “breeches” Bible. These, along with other artifacts and a photographic collection may be seen in the museum (located in the parish house building, built 1889, adjacent to the church).


Organist at First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge celebrates 50 years

Organist at First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge celebrates 50 years
WOODBRIDGE — Some of the most beautiful music that organist Fred A. Briegs plays at the First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge isn’t always heard by the congregation. It’s his carefully selected exit music that ushers out the worshipers.
Read more on MyCentralJersey.com

Church notes
Blessing of Animals at First Parish Blessing of the Animals will be held tomorrow at First Parish Church, High Road, Newbury. There will be no Sunday School, as adults and children are invited to bring their pets, farm animals, a photo of their pet or a stuffed animal to church to have it blessed. Large animals will find comfortable entry from the ramp at the back of the church or they may wait …
Read more on The Daily News of Newburyport

Our weekly events calendar!
Fri, Oct. 22Greenpoint Flea Market: noon–8 pm. Greenpoint Reformed Church [138 Milton St. between Manhattan Avenue and Franklin Street in Greenpoint, (718) 383-5941]. Theater, “The Ring Cycle”: Wagner on steroids, as his opera gets a rock and roll twist featuring pro wrestlers as gods. $ 15. 8 pm. The Bushwick…
Read more on New York Post

Edgewater NJ Community Celebrates Start of New Senior (55+) Housing at Living Springs Campus

Delanco, NJ (Vocus) September 16, 2009

After years of planning, Abundant Life Fellowship Community Development Corporation (CDC) held a ceremonial groundbreaking today for Living Springs Campus, a mixed-use community for seniors 55 and older, featuring a regional medical center and affordable apartments on 52 lakefront acres that the non-denominational church owns in Delanco. The ceremony drew township and state officials as well as church leaders, parishioners, friends and neighbors.

“We are so grateful for the community’s support of our vision to bring affordable housing to the elderly,” said Aubrey Fenton, Executive Pastor of Abundant Life Fellowship, who noted that there is a great need for such housing, especially during these difficult economic times. “The church has already been receiving a steady stream of calls from seniors interested in making their home at Living Springs,” Fenton said.

Construction on the million development, financed primarily with Low Income Housing Tax Credits, is expected to start in November. Marlton-based Michaels Development Company, one of the nation’s top affordable housing developers, will serve as the co-managing partner on the project, which when complete will offer 120 residential units, including 20 specifically for individuals with disabilities. In addition, the Living Springs Campus will house 64,000 square feet of commercial space.

According to Fenton, Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center of Camden has already committed to taking more than 16,000 square feet where they will operate a regional medical center that will serve Living Springs’ residents as well as the larger community.

Delanco Township Mayor Kate Fitzpatrick praised the project and the cooperative effort the Abundant Life Fellowship CDC brought to the planning process. She also congratulated the Church’s founding Pastor, the Rev. Dr. Abraham E. Fenton and his wife, Dr. Eve Fenton for their unwavering commitment to bringing affordable housing to the township.

“I feel both pride and joy for Delanco Township and for the Abundant Life congregation that their vision, so long in the planning is coming true,” said Fitzpatrick, a fourth-generation Delanco resident who said she remembers dancing and swimming at the former site of the Holiday Lakes Recreational Center on Rt. 130.

“What a lovely place for seniors to spend their days,” the Mayor said.

Other dignitaries to attend the ceremony included Delanco Township Deputy Mayor Joan Hinkle, Burlington County Freeholder Director Joseph Donnelly, State Senator Diane Allen, NJ Assemblymen Herbert Conaway and Joseph Donnelly, and Marge Della Vecchia, executive director of the New Jersey Housing Mortgage Finance Agency (NJHMFA).

Ava Goldman, senior vice president of Michaels Development, said she is honored to work on the project and looks forward to working with Pastor Fenton on a project that will make the whole community proud.

“The Abundant Life Fellowship CDC is a competent team dedicated to making a difference in their community and we feel privileged to work with them,” Goldman said.

Once built, the Living Springs residential community will be managed by Interstate Realty Management, Michaels Development’s sister company, which has a national reputation for its award-winning social services, such as health and wellness programs and computer training specifically geared toward seniors.

“With this groundbreaking, we are on our way to making our dreams for this beautiful property come true and one step closer to fulfilling our mission of providing affordable housing for some of neediest among us,” said Pastor Fenton.

About Abundant Life Fellowship: Abundant Life Fellowship is a non-denomination Christian Church in Edgewater, N.J., founded by the Rev. Dr. Abraham E. Fenton and his wife, the Rev. Dr. Eve Fenton. The fellowship has a long history of service to the community, including wide-ranging programs for children, youth, and the elderly. In 1997, Executive Pastor Aubrey Fenton, a civil engineer, supervised the construction of the Fellowship’s House of Worship on Rt. 130. More information is available at http://www.abundantlife.org

About the Michaels Organization: Headquartered in Marlton, NJ, The Michaels Organization is a family of companies dedicated to excellence in affordable, mixed-income, and military housing. Since its founding by housing pioneer Michael J. Levitt in 1973, the Michaels Organization has developed, financed, or acquired more than 40,000 apartments, and currently manages 33,000 units in 26 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Its companies include the Michaels Development Company, Interstate Realty Management, and Michaels Military Housing.


Dallas Diocese’s only Latin Mass church, Mater Dei, celebrates opening of Irving sanctuary

Dallas Diocese’s only Latin Mass church, Mater Dei, celebrates opening of Irving sanctuary
Bishop Kevin Farrell of the Diocese of Dallas will come to Irving this morning to bless a former Korean Methodist church building that had a $ 600,000 makeover to become Mater Dei’s worship space.
Read more on Dallas Morning News

Church News
God’s Holy Temple Church Of God In Christ, 301 East 3rd Ave. in the Home Center downtown Corsicana.
Read more on Corsicana Daily Sun

Church Briefs
GRESHAM – Carpool, fill up the car with your friends and come to the York Zone LWML Fall Rally, Sunday, Oct. 10 at St. Peter’s Gresham. Registration starts at 12:30 pm – and price of tickets is $ 3. Rally starts at 1 p.m.
Read more on York News-Times

Muskegon church celebrates 125 years of caring

Muskegon church celebrates 125 years of caring
Crestwood United Methodist Church, located at 1220 Creston, is celebrating its 125th anniversary on Friday, and the congregation is reflecting on more than a century of Muskegon history.
Read more on The Muskegon Chronicle

Church happenings | Oct. 2, 2010
A weekly look at church news and events.
Read more on The Rock Hill Herald

St. Paul’s blesses your pets Sunday
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 471 Mansfield Ave. in Darien, will commemorate St. Francis of Assisi with the Blessing of the Animals on Sunday, Oct. 3, at 5 p.m. You may bring your dog, cat, hamster, parrot, ferret or other animals to receive a blessing.
Read more on The Darien Times