St Mary’s Bridport – South Street, Bridport – church sign / noticeboard

St Mary’s Bridport – South Street, Bridport – church sign / noticeboard
Chairs for church
Image by ell brown
The town of Bridport in Dorset – it is the gateway to West Bay and the Jurassic Coast.

Down South Street in Bridport.

Church on South Street – St Mary’s Bridport.

Grade A listed.

Parish Church of St Mary, Bridport

1.
5191 SOUTH STREET
(West Side)

Parish Church of
St Mary [formerly
listed under General]

SY 4692 1/1 28.11.50

A GV

2.
Transepts (except for terminal windows) C13. Otherwise late C14 (work in
progress 1397; dedications in 1362, 1403 and 1486). 2 E bays of nave 1858-60
chancel and chancel chapels 1860; architect John Hicks of Dorchester (to
whom Thomas Hardy was apprenticed), see also Nos 78-84 St Andrew s Road.
6 bay nave and aisles, 2 storey porch and outer chapel, transepts, crossing
with crossing tower, chancel and flanking chancel chapels. Perpendicular font,
wood pulpit and stained glass. C13 efigy of reclining knight. Bull
monument in south transept. Brass to Coker (killed in Monmouth’s Rebellion)
in fat Baroque wooden frame. 2 scratched marble tablets (1 by Chideock tomb,
and 1 in St Katherine’s Chapel). Rococo tablet in north transept. C17 oak
chair.

Parish Church of St Mary, the churchyard walls, the War Memorial, and wall to the
Vicarage Garden form a group.

Listing NGR: SY4657792600

Church sign / noticeboard

Bridport United Church – East Street, Bridport – church sign

Bridport United Church – East Street, Bridport – church sign
Church list
Image by ell brown
The town of Bridport in Dorset – it is the gateway to West Bay and the Jurassic Coast.

This is Bridport United Church.

United Reformed & Methodist.

Grade II listed.

United Reformed and Methodist Church, Bridport

1.
5191 EAST STREET
(South Side)

United Reformed and
Methodist Church
SY 4692 1/262

II GV

2.
1859. Architects Poulton and Woodman of Reading. Hammer dreaded stone with
ashlar dressings. Pitched roof. Nave and 2 aisles. "W" front expresses this
by buttresses with setbacks crowned by octagonal spirelets with steep gablets
on each side. Coped gable end, crow-stepped at very top and crowned by tall
finial. Large 5-light grouped lancets, centre 3 lights grouped together under
1 arch and divided from remainder by colonnettes: reticulated tracery hood
mould. Pointed arch in gable end with Geometrical tracery. Porch t? each
aisle with very steep roof, coped gable ends and finials, diagonally planked
double doors with ornamental iron hinges, in cusped pointed arches with hood
moulds. Star-shaped windows above each porch. Side elevations have 6 lancets
with shaped arches, separated by buttresses.
Interior. Open hammerbeam timber roof on foliate corbels. Galleries round
3 sides on twisted iron columns. Rib-vaulted apse approached through arch
on shafts with elaborate foliate capitals, corbelled out fron wall; "O Worship
the Lord in the Beauty of Holiness" painted round extrados. Gabled and crocketed
organ in apse. Panelled pulpit. Early C17 polygonal pulpit with 2 tiers
of arcading, originally in the church at Charmouth. It was from this pulpit
that the Vicar of Charmouth (John Wesley’s great-grandfather) was preaching
while the fugitive Charles II was waiting for the ship which failed to take
him into exile in 1651.

Nos 8 to 36 (even) form a group with the United Reformed and Methodist Church.

Listing NGR: SY4675792863

Church sign.