Three barns and 451 Church Road, Yardley
Image by ell brown
This is the yard featuring the house at 451 Church Road in Yardley.
451 Church Farm , other wise Tile House Farm. The site was given to the Charity Trust in 1463 by local tilemaker Robert Robyns. The Trust’s accounts show how the present farmbuildings were built in the early 19th century, starting in the 1820’s with the cowhouse, whose gable fronts the street, beyond is the barn of 1848 and wagon hovel of 1853. Then the farmhouse itself, rebuilt in 1837, and to its right the stable with a loft over built with a pair of upper crucks, and finally the "Smithy"
Grade II listed
Probably early C19. Red brick; tile roof with dentilled eaves cornice. Two storeys;
3 bays. The house stands to the right of a yard entered from the road through a wall.
Ground floor with central door with modern glazed porch and 2 casement windows.
First floor with windows over those of the ground floor. All window segment-headed
Barn At West End Of Yard To Number 451:
To the left of the house and at the far end of the yard, a barn. C18. Brick; tiled
roof. Three bays wide, the central one with broad segment-headed waggon entrance on
both sides. Left and right, ventilator holes. On the right, a subsidiary door.
Barn To South Side Of Yard By Entrance To Number 451:
To the left of the entrance to the yard end with its gable end to the road, another
barn. Early C19. Brick; tiled roof. Three doors and 3 window, all different.
Barn On North East Side Of Yard To Number 451:
To the right of the entrance, a third barn. Early C19. Red brick; tiled roof. Two
storeys. Ground floor with a segment-headed entrance. First moor with a single
segment-headed loft entrance. No 453 Church Road is physically attached to this barn.
For more information on these properties visit this link Yardley Conservation Society – Conservation Area