First Baptist Church — Jacksonville, Florida
Image by mutrock
First Baptist Church was established in July of 1838 as the third church in Jacksonville. In 1892, the church settled at its present location between Hogan and Church Streets in the heart of the downtown district. The Great Jacksonville Fire of 1901 totally destroyed the church building, but in February of 1903 the cornerstone was laid for a new building. Within one year, the new Hobson Auditorium was completed. The building served as the church’s primary worship center until 1976.