All Saints Church, Bakewell, Derbyshire.
Image by UGArdener
Best viewed LARGE on Black:
This church stands on a hill overlooking one of our favorite English towns.
Here is some information from Wikipedia and other sources:
All Saints Church is a Grade I listed church founded in 920, during Saxon times and the churchyard has two 9th century Saxon crosses. During restoration work, in the 1840s, many carved fragments of Saxon stonework were found in and around the porch, as well as some ancient stone coffins.
The architecture of All Saints’ Church is very interesting with its unusual octagonal spire. Most spires in this area are a regular octagon having all sides the same size and at the same angle to each other, but Bakewell’s spire is built in the shape of a crucifix. The church was first established during Anglo-Saxon times, but was completely rebuilt by the Normans in the 12th century. In the churchyard there is a wonderfully preserved 8th century Saxon cross and more interesting detail inside the church.
It was rebuilt in 1110, it subsequently underwent further rebuilding between 1826 and 1841.
In 1826 the tower’s pillars had become weakened and in need of replacement. In 1841 the tower, along with the north and south transepts, along with the Vernon chapel were taken down and subsequently rebuilt. During the restoration work, they made sure that the original design of the church was adhered to. At this time, four stained-glass windows were added to the south end, and with the addition of new seating, the pulpit, reading desk and the organ were rearranged, all at some considerable expense for the time.
There are around 40 Anglo-Saxon stones in the grounds of All Saints’ Church – the largest collection of Anglo-Saxon stones in the world – and local historians believe that they have unlocked some of their secrets. The stones date back to 920AD when King Edward the Elder ruled England and Scotland as far north as the Forth and Clyde.
One cross is the Beeley Cross, dug up in a field at a disputed location near Beeley and moved for some years to the grounds of Holt House near Darley Bridge. Although only the base and lower part of the shaft survive, it stands over five feet high and is carved on all four faces.
The other cross is the Bakewell Cross, eight feet high and almost complete. It was carved in the seventh of eighth century and shows a number of scenes including one of the Annunciation. This cross may originally have stood at Hassop Cross Roads, although there is no firm evidence as to this.