St Michael’s Church, Baddesley Clinton
Image by ell brown
This is the churchyard of St Michael’s Church, Baddesley Clinton, along with the grave stones of those burried there, including members of the Ferrers family.
This is St Michael’s Church, Baddesley Clinton.
The Church of St Michael is a Grade II* listed building.
Church. C13 origins; nave raised and clerestory windows inserted late C15; late
C15 tower; chancel rebuilt and extended 1634. Random coursed stone rubble to
lower part of nave; stone ashlar to chancel, tower, and upper part of nave; old
plain-tile roofs to nave and chancel; tower roof not visible. 3-bay nave, 3-bay
chancel and west tower. 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and C19
door to centre of nave. 2-light stone mullion window to right of nave. Three
3-light stone mullion windows with cusped lights to clerestory. Tudor-arched
doorway with C19 plank door to left of centre of chancel. 3-light stone mullion
windows to left and right of centre. 5-light Rectilinear tracery window to east
end of chancel. North side: 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and ribbed
door to centre of nave. Y-tracery window to left of nave. 2-light stone mullion
window with cusped lights to right of nave. Three 3-light stone mullion windows
with cusped lights to clerestory. Tower: 4-centre arched doorway to west side
with plain spandrels and hood mould. 3-light Rectilinear tracery window with
hood mould above doorway. 2-light Rectilinear tracery louvred openings to each
side of top stage of tower. String course to base of tower parapet has carved
water-spouts. Battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel; 3-bay barrel-vaulted roof
with moulded wood ribs. Altar tomb to right to Sir Edward Ferrers (1465-1535)
and his wife Constance, in Tudor-arched recess, having quatrefoil spandrels.
3 panels to tomb with elaborate tracery and armorial bearings. C19 choir stalls.
2-centred chancel arch with chancel screen, dated 1634, having wood panelled
base and strapwork slats above. Nave: 3-bay Perpendicular roof. C19 pulpit, font
and pews. 2-centred arch on octagonal half-columns to tower. East window is C16
in origins but much is probably now mid-C18 restoration. History: Nicholas
Brome, who was responsible for the late C15 work on the church, was lord of the
manor, and carried out the work in expiation of his murder of the priest, whom
he found "chucking his wife under the chin". The church contains a Sarah Green
single manual chamber organ.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: 1966, pp80-81; C.J. Baddeley: The Church of
Saint Michael, Baddesley Clinton (guide book) 1970)
I took one last clean shot without the people in it.