Church of the Ascension, Kolomenskoye 3 cross process

Church of the Ascension, Kolomenskoye 3 cross process
List of churches
Image by sparklesofnow
Church of the Ascension (1532) in Kolomenskoye, Moscow, Russia.

Kolomenskoye village was first mentioned in the testament of Ivan Kalita (1339). As time went by, the village was developed as a favourite country estate of grand princes of Muscovy. The earliest extant structure is the exceptional Ascension church (1532), built in white stone to commemorate the long-awaited birth of an heir to the throne, the future Ivan the Terrible. Being the first stone church of tent-like variety, the uncanonical "White Column" (as it is sometimes referred to) marked a stunning rupture with the Byzantine tradition. [1] The church stands up toward the sky from a low cross-shaped podklet (ground floor), then follows a prolonged chetverik (octagonal body) of the church, and then an octagonal tent, crowned by a tiny dome. The narrow pilasters on the sides of the chetverik, the arrow-shaped window frames, the three tiers of the kokoshniks and the quiet rhythm of stair arcades and open galleries underline the dynamic tendency of this masterpiece of the Russian architecture. The whole vertical composition is believed to have been borrowed from hipped roof-style wooden churches of the Russian North. Recognizing its outstanding value for humanity, UNESCO decided to inscribe the church on the World Heritage List in 1994.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolomenskoye

Ascension Day No. 1, a poem by Peter Menkin

Religious and spiritual poem that reflects on a trip to Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, CA USA with a friend in the year 2000. No. 1 was written in 2008. Aspiring poet Peter Menkin is also known as a “Parish Poet” because his poems appear on the website of and newsletter of Church of Our Saviour (Episcopal), Mill Valley, CA USA. An image of the Church in Mill Valley (north of San Francisco) ends the poem. It was taken by Rick White, Peter’s neighbor who is 77 years old (as of 2008). Rick has 9 children, 20 grandchildren, and 4 great grandchildren. He worked as a travel photographer, and as an advertising agency art director. The first image of the poetry movie is “Bird of Paradise,” taken at Wanshishan Botanical Gardens, Xiamen, Fujian, Chine circa 2007–taken by Rick White.
Video Rating: 0 / 5

Ukrainian Catholic Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ Church

Ukrainian Catholic Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ Church
Jesus Christ Church
Image by Jordon
We went for a drive in the country today as an excuse to try out the new Pentax K-x and we found this church. After looking around online, I found the following information that I’ll post below. Flickr images often show up higher in search results for things so I’ll post the info from the site below.

From www.skeparchy.org/parishes/laniwci-%20ascension%20of%20ou…

The church of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ is the third church of the parish.

The first church was a log and clay structure constructed by the founders of the parish in 1906 on a site eight miles west of Alvena. In 1918 it was converted into a parish hall and the second church was constructed. This was a cruciform structure with one central dome and an iconostas; the iconostas was hand carved by Stepan Meush in 1931-1932, the iconostas icons were the artwork of Isadore Hrytzak. Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church on August 19, 1932.

On August 19, 1964, the church was struck by lightning and was completely destroyed in the ensuing fire. In 1965 the parishioners constructed the present church which was blessed on August 4, 1974 by Bishop Andrew Roborecki.

The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure measuring 60 x 30 feet. It stands on a concrete basement, has two frontal towers apexed by cupolas, exterior wood siding painted a light color, rectangular windows with arched summits and a shingled gable roof which is apexed by a cross above the front entrance. The church is east-west oriented.

Entry into the church is from the west by a series of steps leading into an adjoining porch-vestibule; additional entries are located at the base of the towers at north and south sides of the nave.

The east elevated sanctuary contains the main altar and has two adjoining sacristies which have exits to the church grounds. The west choir loft extends above the nave and is reached by a stairway at the south wall of the nave. The base of the interior walls has been finished with plywood, natural color of the wood has been retained, while the remaining wall areas and the ceiling have donnacona and are painted a light color.

Behind the main altar hangs a large church patron icon. On corresponding sides of the sanctuary and facing the nave are icons of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ the Redeemer; these three oil on canvas icons have frames finished in gold leaf and were painted in 1976 by Theodore Baran.

The church has a wooden floor which is carpeted at the center aisle and in the sanctuary area, wooden pews which seat approx. 150 persons, electricity and central oil heating.

Construction was accomplished through the generous donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners under the directorship of their pastor Rev. Andrew Choronzy, the parish executive and construction committee consisting of: Michael Lozinsky, Walter Lo-zinsky, Hryhoriy (Harry) Slywka, Michael Harasym-chuk, Nykola (Nick) Zary and John Mialkowsky. Construction costs totalled ,000, foreman of the construction was Nick Zary.

Near the church are two wooden crosses commemorating the Holy Missions of 1942 and 1960, and a three bell masonry bell tower which was constructed in 1948 by Nick Zary; two of the bells for the belfry were purchased by the parishioners, the third was a small bell donated by liko Hrytzak. The original wooden belfry, which was dismantled, was constructed in 1914.

The church site also contains the Prosvita Home of Taras Shevchenko which was constructed in 1927; the first parish hall, originally the church, has been dismantled. The parish cemetery site, which is one-half mile east of the church, and the church site were blessed in 1904 by Rev. Sozont Dydyk, OSBM.

In 1941 the parish registered 57 members and 100 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 135 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 60 individual members were counted.

The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Laniwci, is under the pastoral charge of Vonda.