Tag Archives: Arlington

First Baptist Church of Arlington, Arlington, Texas Historical Marker

First Baptist Church of Arlington, Arlington, Texas Historical Marker
First Baptist Church
Image by fables98
In the 1870s this church was organized at Johnson Station, an early Tarrant County settlement and stagecoach stop. In 1876 the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line through the area and founded Arlington. The church and other institutions moved to the new town. Worship services were held at several meeting sites before the congregation built a sanctuary at Pecan and Abram Streets in 1917. That Church building burned in 1944, and an auditorium was constructed on South Center Street in 1947. A new sanctuary at this location was added in 1959. (1982)

New book: One Hundred Years of St. George’s Episcopal Church, Arlington, VA, 1908-2008: Growth of a Church Community in the Turbulent 20th Century

Arlington, VA (PRWEB) May 16, 2008

The newly published book, One Hundred Years of St. George’s Episcopal Church, Arlington, VA, 1908-2008: Growth of a Church Community in the Turbulent 20th Century, by Cynthia Clark, is not just a history of a church community but also of the times in which it grew and developed.

This handsome 60-page 8-1/2 by 11-inch book, published as part of the church’s centennial year, is well illustrated, and contains stories from many St. Georgians, as well as chronological and personal history gathered from the church’s archives and from interviews. Facts gathered from the history of Arlington relate the character of this church community to the astonishing changes in its locality over the years. Anyone who ever had a connection with St. George’s and anyone interested in the local history of Arlington, Virginia will find this centennial offering well written, informative, and enjoyable. Copies are available from St. George’s Episcopal Church, 915 N. Oakland St, Arlington 22203, 703-525-8286.

###