St Andrew’s Church, Wood Dalling and the pond – Norfolk
Image by ell brown
Close up shots of St Andrew’s Church in Wood Dalling, in the area we stayed in Norfolk for a week.
The church is Grade I listed, and is near a pond.
The skys were nice and clear, no planes in the sky that Saturday, so no paths from the planes, due to the flying ban during the Iceland ash cloud incident.
The church with the pond. Looks amazing here.
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15. Flint with limestone dressings; flintwork
partly rendered over. Nave and chancel slated (north slope of nave has C20
concrete tiles). Lead roofs to aisles. West tower, nave, chancel, north
and south aisles, north and south porches. C15 square west tower, staged
diagonal buttresses with flushwork panels. West doorway with ogee-headed
hood mould and fleuron decoration to arch and jambs. Spandrels with shields
in quatrefoils; slim pilaster-buttresses with pinnacles flanking opening.
Cornice with fleuron decoration. 3-light west window above. Square
traceried sound holes with dripmoulds. 2-light traceried bell openings.
Embattled parapet with shields and flushwork panels, hexagonal corner
pinnacles. Polygonal stair turret with quatrefoil lights, south-east corner.
C15 2-storey south porch, now vestry: south doorway blocked and rendered over,
archway with engaged shafts and hood mould on headstops. Above, a niche with
ogee-headed canopy flanked by two windows, all under a stepped dripmould.
2-light east and west windows at upper and lower levels. Eaves parapet.
C18 memorial stones set in east wall. South aisle has three 3-light C15
windows, much repaired; staged buttresses divide bays. 4-bay nave clere-
storey of 2-light early C15 windows set in flushwork wall. South aisle
windows C14, 2-lights, the western window masking a large opening with brick
arch. Angle buttresses to east gable; 3-light C14 east window, much
restored. North wall of chancel has three lancets and small priest’s door,
all C13. North porch C15 with blocked 2-light east and west windows;
diagonal buttresses to north wall, arch with engaged shafts and hoodmould
on headstops. Eaves parapet. Aisles have 2-light west windows and 3-light
east windows. Interior: 4-bay north and south arcades with double hollow-
chamfer arches and octagonal piers, C14; the responds probably C13. C15
nave roof – roll-moulded principals and purlins, arch-braces to principal
rafters with wallposts on head corbels in alternate bays. South aisle roof
has arch-braced principal rafters and roll-moulded purlins. High-level 4-
centred arched doorway to staircase to porch upper chamber, south-west corner.
Tall tower arch with responds matching arcades. C14 piscina ogee-headed
cinquefoil arch with headstop on west side, engaged shafts with polygonal
capitals and petalled bowl. Sedilia with engaged shafts, top removed to
accommodate later window. C15 reader’s desk with poppyheads and carved arm
rests. Nave has good C18 memorial slabs with some earlier re-set brasses.
Memorial brasses to Robert Dockyng (d.1465) and John Crane (d.1507).
Recumbent effigy of a priest, east end of north aisle.
St Andrew’s Church, Wood Dalling – Heritage Gateway