Tag Archives: 1703

Plaque at the Immanuel Episcopal Church (built 1703) — New Castle (DE) 2012

Plaque at the Immanuel Episcopal Church (built 1703) — New Castle (DE) 2012
Episcopal Church
Image by Ron Cogswell
The Immanuel Episcopal Church on the Green in New Castle (DE) is located at Strand and Harmony Streets.

Immanuel is located in the heart of Old New Castle, a village of well preserved colonial and federal homes and public buildings. A stroll through New Castle reveals the original capital of Delaware, the site where William Penn landed in America, as well as beautiful 17th, 18th and 19th century buildings – all within a 7-block walk of the Delaware River.

As the colonial capital, New Castle grew in size and stature. Larger houses were constructed, and businesses sprang up to accommodate the judges, lawyers, and other professionals who had business in the capital.

As the Revolution drew near, political debates and protests in the colony were centered in New Castle. Several signers of the Declaration of Independence lived in New Castle – one of them, George Read, is buried in the Immanuel cemetery.

DSC_0090