St Mary’s Bridport – South Street, Bridport – church sign / noticeboard
Image by ell brown
The town of Bridport in Dorset – it is the gateway to West Bay and the Jurassic Coast.
Down South Street in Bridport.
Church on South Street – St Mary’s Bridport.
Grade A listed.
5191 SOUTH STREET
Parish Church of
St Mary [formerly
listed under General]
SY 4692 1/1 28.11.50
Transepts (except for terminal windows) C13. Otherwise late C14 (work in
progress 1397; dedications in 1362, 1403 and 1486). 2 E bays of nave 1858-60
chancel and chancel chapels 1860; architect John Hicks of Dorchester (to
whom Thomas Hardy was apprenticed), see also Nos 78-84 St Andrew s Road.
6 bay nave and aisles, 2 storey porch and outer chapel, transepts, crossing
with crossing tower, chancel and flanking chancel chapels. Perpendicular font,
wood pulpit and stained glass. C13 efigy of reclining knight. Bull
monument in south transept. Brass to Coker (killed in Monmouth’s Rebellion)
in fat Baroque wooden frame. 2 scratched marble tablets (1 by Chideock tomb,
and 1 in St Katherine’s Chapel). Rococo tablet in north transept. C17 oak
Parish Church of St Mary, the churchyard walls, the War Memorial, and wall to the
Vicarage Garden form a group.
Listing NGR: SY4657792600
Church sign / noticeboard