South Leith Parish Church
Image by leithlightingfan
There are several lighting columns in South Leith Parish Church graveyard. This one predates all of the other more modern reproductions. The church and its grounds have been A listed by Historic Scotland since 1970 (though there is no specific mention of any historic lighting columns). The current church was built by Thomas Hamilton in 1848. The cast iron lighting column appears Victorian in style. There is no ladder bar to indicate that the column was originally gas so it could have been introduced to the churchyard in the latter Victorian period as an early electric light.
For further info on preserving Leith’s historic lights go to: www.greenerleith.org/greener-leith-news/2012/4/10/leither…