Saint Mark Baptist Church McKinney Texas Historical Marker

Saint Mark Baptist Church McKinney Texas Historical Marker
Church names
Image by fables98
The congregation was organized in 1879 by two preachers, the Rev. Dick White and a Rev. Jones, who conducted prayer meetings in area homes. The first church services were held on the farm of Isaac Graves, northeast of McKinney. Originally known as the Free Missionary Baptist Church, the name became Saint Mark in 1886. That same year the church purchased this property and built a brush arbor. A one-room frame building served as the first sanctuary. The present brick edifice was constructed in 1960 during the 1942-1974 pastorate of the Rev. B.T. Jones. (1980) Incise on back: Church Families A. Beavers S. Bell Jr. R.GV. Cofield O.H. Ellis E. Jackson J. Jackson R. Jones E. Killion J. Mack B. Martin L. Newsome A.L. Pearson Geo. Pearson E.T. Robinson E. Smith L. Wattley W.J. Wattley Rev. Erie D. Fields, Pastor