Richmond Hill Congregational (United Reformed) Church, Bournemouth

Richmond Hill Congregational (United Reformed) Church, Bournemouth
Church Covenant
Image by Alwyn Ladell
The original Richmond Hill Congregational Church. The land in Sanatorium Road (later renamed Bourne Avenue) was given by George Durrant. The foundation stone was laid on 4th July, 1854, but the church did not open for worship until 8th March, 1859 (a legal challenge regarding land ownership, due to alleged outstanding mortgage payments, having led to delays). The Covenant to form the church was signed by twenty-four people in 1856. The first Minister was Rev Hector McMillan, a Presbyterian. However, by the end of that same year the first corrugated iron St Andrew’s "Scotch" Presbyterian Church was erected at the bottom of Richmond Hill. The foundation stone for an extension (lecture rooms and a classroom) was laid in 1876 but, by the time the Rev Ossian Davies became Minister in 1887, the rapidly growing population had outgrown the first church and plans were laid for a full rebuild. The final service in this building was on 4th May, 1890, after which it was immediately demolished to make way for the new church was was opened the following year. However, the corner stone was relaid on September the 3rd, 1890, as part of the replacement church.