Image by Scooter Flix
Die Frieden Kirche or Peace Church was begun by a group of German farmers who worshipped in their homes. The congregation was officially organized by the Reverend Anthony Hautz in 1793. In 1797 a small log house was purchased for use as a School, home for a school master and a temporary church. Construction of Peace Church began in 1798 and was completed and dedicated on May 19, 1799.
In 1807 the Lutheran Congregation from Poplar Grove bought half ownership in the church and the two shared the building every other Sunday. The Doll Organ was purchased from Conrad Doll the same year. It is said to be the first instrument of its kind to be used in a church in Cumberland County.
In 1864 the Lutherans suggested that a new church be constructed. At first the Reformed people agreed, but after articles were drawn up they decided that their small congregation could not afford their share. The new Lutheran Church was completed and dedicated in late June, 1866. The Reform Congregation held their final communion service in Peace Church on 23 June 1866. Both congregations still hold services in the church once a year.
In 1969, Peace Church was acquired by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It is being administered as an historic site by The Pennsylvania Historic and Museum Commission. The church has been operated for the benefit of the public by The Friends of Peace Church since 1973. It is open from 2 to 5 every Sunday afternoon June through September.