NYC – LES: St. Teresa’s Roman Catholic Church
Image by wallyg
St. Teresa’s Roman Catholic Church was founded in 1863 to serve the growing Irish immigrant community in the Lower East Side. Built in 1841 as the First Presbyterian Church of New York, it was purchased through the efforts of then-Archbishop Corrigan, and now serves new immigrant groups. It is possibly the only trilingual Catholic church in the city, offering masses in English, Spanish and Chinese.
The church is typical of the Gothic Revival style that gained popularity in the 1840s. The adjacent parking lot was once the site of the Hebrew National Wurstfabrik.