NYC – East Village: St. Stanislaus Church – Pope John Paul II
Image by wallyg
This sculptural bust of Pope John Paul II stands outside the John Paul II Friendship Center, located in the church hall at St. Stanislaus Church. The center has been providing services to seniors since the early 80’s.
Saint Stanislaus Church, at 101 East 7th Street, is home to the oldest and only Polish Roman-Catholic parish, under the invocation of St. Stanislaus Bishop & Martyr, which can be traced back to 1872 and a small wooden church at 318 Henry Street. The parish quickly outgrew those accomodations and moved into a former Presbyterian Church on Stanton Street before laying the cornerstone for the current building, under the guidance of Reverend Jan Strzelecki. The new church was dedicated by Archbishop M.A. Corrigan and Bishop J.M. Farley on May 19, 1901.