NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church

NJ – Newark: First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church
First Baptist Church
Image by wallyg
The First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church was first organized in 1801 as the First Baptist Church of Newark when part of the congregation of the Lyons Farms Baptist Church split. Services were held in the White School house until a church was built in 1806. A new building was dedicated in 1869 before being abandoned. The current structure, at 572 Broad Street, was built in 1890. Designed by William Halsey Wood, the edifice was a gift of Thomas B. Peddie, who served two terms as Mayor of Newark and was later elected to Congress, representing the sixth district of New Jersey.

New Jersey State Register (1972)
National Register #72000774 (1972)