Los Angeles Community and Government Helped by Local Church
St Patrick’s Catholic Church is a noted place of worship in Los Angeles, CA. It is located just east of downtown L.A. and is one of the oldest parishes in Los Angeles, having been established in 1903. The parish has serviced a plethora of communities over its existence. St. Patrick’s has always been a parish for welcoming immigrants, beginning with Irish and Germans in the 1900s, African-Americans in the 1920s and 1930s, Mexican-Americans in the 1950s and currently Central Americans since the 1980s.
The founding church structure was damaged and reconstructed after a 1933 earthquake damaged the famous towers. A second earthquake in 1971 completely collapsed the church. The parishioners, not able to bear the cost of rebuilding, had been attending service in the converted parish hall for the past 35 years. With an typical attendance of over 600 but a full capacity of only 400, many parishioners were forced to wait outside the door to the parish hall to attend Mass.
Through the inspiration of Bishop Stephen Blaire and others, the idea was born of constructing a church for the parish with the help of all the surrounding parishes and donors within Our Lady of the Angels Pastoral Region. Under the direction of Bishop Edward William Clark, the construction of the church commenced in April 2005 and was finished in December 2006. Dedication of St. Patrick’s Church was held March 17.
It had quite some time since the St. Patrick Parish had a permanent church. One thousand worshipers are now able to celebrate Mass in the new building. This is more than twice the previous capacity of the worship space in the parish hall. The unique capital campaign to build the new church involved contributions from the more than 70 parishes within the Our Lady of the Angels regions, as well as donations from outside donors and foundations.
According to parish statistics, the number of established households is about 1,500, with regularly-attending parishioners: at greater than 5,000. On an annual basis, over 450 baptisms are performed in the church. The number of students in weekly religious education classes is more than 700.