Kawaiahao Church

Kawaiahao Church
Church search
Image by cliff1066™
In 1900, when fire destroyed a great portion of the city, thousands left homeless found refuge at Kawaiaha‘o. On December 7, 1941, the faithful crowded into the church’s basement in search of inspiration and safety. The historic occasion of statehood was marked by ceremonies within the sanctuary’s walls. Kawaiaha‘o Church, is listed on the state and national registers of historic sites. The tower clock, commonly referred to as the Kauikeaouli clock, in memory of King Kamehameha III, its donor, is of great historic significance. It was made by the Howard & Davis Clock Makers of Boston, Massachusetts. Mechanics arrived with the clock in 1850 and preparations were made for its installation – King Kamehameha III was selected to supervise the task. The clock, which tolls the hours, still operates on its original machinery, which four generations of the Mahoe-Mulford family have maintained.