Inside St. Nicholas Church in Oddington, Gloucestershire
Image by UGArdener
Lower Oddington and Upper Oddington are a pair of adjoining villages in the English county of Gloucestershire. Together they form the civil parish of Oddington.
They are located to the south of the A436 road east of the town of Stow-on-the-Wold.
Oddington is known for the fine Church of St Nicholas. It was originally a cell of St Peter’s Benedictine abbey in Gloucester; it was ceded in 1157 to the See of York, and exchanged with the Crown in 1547. The Norman south aisle probably represents the original nave. The church was all but abandoned among its fields in 1852, and has been little altered since. It contains wall paintings of the Doom on the north wall of the nave, dating to the early fifteenth century. They were whitewashed over in Puritan times and conserved by Eve Baker from 1969. Scenes depicted include the Acts of Mercy, the Seven Deadly Sins, and Pride.
Many thanks to Flickr contact Unleicaly for this link:
On our trip to the Cotswolds in July, we rented, or “hired” bicycles for a day from The Toy Shop in Moreton in Marsh. The helpful owners recommended a relatively flat route along very quiet lanes and back roads that led through the villages of Evenlode, Broadwell, Lower Oddington, and Lower Oddington. It was a day of some sunshine mixed with heavy showers. We took refuge from the rains in two pubs and in an Eleventh Century church. We returned to our Bed and Breakfast late in the afternoon soaked but happy.