Immanuel Episcopal Church On The Green — New Castle (DE) December 2012
Image by Ron Cogswell
Founded in 1689, the Immanuel Episcopal Church on the Green in New Castle (DE) is one of the oldest Episcopal parishes in the U.S. Immanuel’s parishioners have been worshiping on the spot where the church stands for over 300 years.
Immanuel Church was the first parish of the Church of England in Delaware (then still part of Pennsylvania). Work on a church building began in 1703, and was mostly completed by 1708.
The church is located at Strand and Harmony Streets in the heart of Old New Castle, a village of well preserved colonial and federal homes and public buildings. A stroll through New Castle reveals the original capital of Delaware, the site where William Penn landed in America, as well as beautiful 17th, 18th and 19th century buildings – all within a 7-block walk of the Delaware River.
As the colonial capital, New Castle grew in size and stature. Larger houses were constructed, and businesses sprang up to accommodate the judges, lawyers, and other professionals who had business in the capital.
As the Revolution drew near, political debates and protests in the colony were centered in New Castle. Several signers of the Declaration of Independence lived in New Castle – one of them, George Read, is buried in the Immanuel cemetery.