H_15F College Hill – Looking North-East with The First Baptist Church in America (1775) – 75 North Main Street in the Foreground and Thomas Street to Its Left

H_15F College Hill – Looking North-East with The First Baptist Church in America (1775) – 75 North Main Street in the Foreground and Thomas Street to Its Left
first baptist church
Image by California Cthulhu (Will Hart)
College Hill is mentioned in Lovecraft’s, "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward," "The Haunter of the Dark," and "The Shunned House."

———————————

H. P. Lovecraft’s maternal ancestral church; where he once tried to play, "Yes, We Have No Bananas" on the church’s organ.

H. P. Lovecraft, in his, "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward," mentions this church twice; including the following sentence: "Then came the exquisite First Baptist Church of 1775, luxurious with its matchless Gibbs steeple, and the Georgian roofs and cupolas hovering by."

———————————

Waterman Street is to the right, and is mentioned in Lovecraft’s, "The Call of Cthulhu," and in his "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward."

——————————–

Benefit Street is to the rear, and plays a major role in Lovecraft’s "The Shunned House," and is mentioned in his "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".

——————————–

The Fleur-de-Lys Building (1885) at 7 Thomas Street can be seen behind the trees that are in front of the church. This is the home of Henry Anthony Wilcox in Lovecraft’s, "The Call of Cthulhu."

——————————–

The Providence Art Club (Founded 1880 – Moved Here in 1887) at 10-11 Thomas Street can be seen behind the church steeple. Mentioned in Lovecraft’s, "The Call of Cthulhu." H. P. Lovecraft and his aunts Lillian Delora Phillips (Clark) and Annie Emeline Phillips (Gamwell) attended art shows here; and this is where Lillian had canvasses displayed in exhibitions.

———————————

Prospect Terrace (1867) at 75 Congdon Street can be seen in the upper left corner of this photo.

———————————

The First Church of Christ, Scientist (1913) at 71 Prospect Street (at Meeting Street) can be seen in the upper-right corner of this photo.

———————————

And the Providence Washington Insurance Company building (1850) at 20 Washington Place is in the lower left corner of this photo. This was originally built as the What Cheer building in 1850; and was the Gorham Manufacturing Company building before becoming the Providence Washington Insurance Company building. In 2009, it is being used as office space for the Rhode Island School of Design.

Photo taken by Will Hart on 20-August-1990 from the roof of One Financial Plaza.