Grace United Methodist Church
Image by NCinDC
Grace United Methodist Church located at 7882 Main Street in Middletown, Virginia. The building is designated as a contributing property to the Middletown Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 2003.
From the historic district’s NRHP nomination form:
"The present Grace United Methodist Church, built in 1897, is an unusual Romanesque Revival-style structure with a seventy-five-foot tower containing a hand-played carillon. It replaced the former Grace United Methodist Church, built around 1852…"
From the church’s website:
"There is a record of Methodism in Middletown as early as 1816. John Senseney, nephew of the founder of Middletown, recorded in his diary that he joined the Methodist Society in 1816 and that there were twelve members. The first church was a log structure on Senseney Avenue. In 1853, a new brick structure was built on the site of the old log church. The new church was dedicated on December 18, 1853, as part of the Winchester Circuit.
During the Civil War, it was used as a stable and hospital for Federal troops. The present church building was begun in 1896 and dedicated on July 31, 1898. It is built with native dressed blue limestone, quarried locally, and the roof is covered with slate tiles. In 1989, a kitchen, fellowship hall, office, restrooms, and additional classrooms were added.
Grace has one of the last hand-played carillons in the Shenandoah Valley and the old hymns continue to ring out over Middletown every Sunday morning."