Golf And The Church In St. Andrews

Golf And The Church In St. Andrews

St. Andrews is a town in Scotland located on the east coast. This town was named after the apostle St. Andrew. The church is quite important in the town and has been since the 8th century. Much of the main town grew next to the cathedral. This large cathedral is known only ruins. St Andrews is known internationally as the home of golf as the Royal and Ancient Golf club has authority over the game in most of the world and several famous golf tournaments are held here.

The very first settlers arrived in the area during the Stone Age and since then nomadic tribes settled the area until famers began clearing the trees for pasture. St Andrews has a lot of political influence in Europe because it is the ecclesiastical capital of Scotland.

Despite its northern location on the globe the weather in St Andrews is actually very mild. It has a temperate maritime climate and the winter is not as cold as you might expect. Frosts during the winter are common but it rarely ever snows. Summer is cool and does not tend to get above 20 degrees Celsius.

The center of St Andrews was once surrounded or bounded by three different gates, the church gate, North gate and South gate. The West port of town is only one of two such surviving ports in Scotland. The towers and central archway have relief panels and side arches. The Holy Trinity church is the most historic in town and was built on land that once belonged to the famous cathedral.

The University of St Andrews is one of the oldest and originated in 1410. The first subjects studied were divinity, canon law and the arts. After the Scottish Reformation the courses of study changed from being mainly religious to a more modern course of study. Eventually by the end of the 1800s it would have its own school of medicine and would expand dramatically.

Ruins of the old cathedral can still be visited. When it was still standing it was the largest building in Scotland. The south nave wall and east and west gables are still standing but not much else.

You can also visit the ruins of St Andrews castle which is found at the top of a cliff. The castle was built in 1200 and was used as a palace, fortress and prison. It was demolished and rebuilt several times so that the current ruins date back to about 1550.