First Baptist Church of Waxahachie, Waxahachie, Texas Historical Marker

First Baptist Church of Waxahachie, Waxahachie, Texas Historical Marker
First Baptist Church
Image by fables98
Organized in 1861 by twelve citizens meeting in the Methodist church, the Baptist congregation elected W.H. Stokes as its first pastor. The group met in several locations until their first church building was completed in 1883. Several successive structures were built, and the present facilities were begun in 1949. The present sanctuary was dedicated in 1959. A part of Waxahachie history for over 125 years, the First Baptist Church has concentrated its efforts on Baptist missionary activities and community assistance projects.