Ebenezer Chapel – Dashwood Road, Banbury
Image by ell brown
On Dashwood Road in Banbury – a one way street.
Near the Catholic Church of St John the Evangelist.
Ebenezer Chapel. Grade II listed as Austin House.
BANBURY SOUTH BAR STREET
SP4550SW (East side)
9/181 No.24 (Austin House)
Baptist chapel, now offices. 1834 with later alterations. Red brick, hipped
Welsh slate roof, brick end stack. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Central 2-storey
advanced entrance bay has porch with slender columns. Panelled double doors.
Decorated overlight. Single sash above entrance has glazing bars and stone sill.
Ground floor to left and right of porch has sashes with glazing bars, brick flat
arches and stone sills. 2 similar windows to first floor. All windows of 3-pane
width. Basement has sashes with glazing bars. Moulded chamfered cornice. Erected
for Richard Austin (d.1840). The Austin family were prominent brewers and
Baptists in C19 Banbury.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, pp.92 and 116).
Listing NGR: SP4536240190