Church of the Transfiguration~Little Church Around the Corner ~ New York City NY

Church of the Transfiguration~Little Church Around the Corner ~ New York City NY
List of churches
Image by Onasill
The Church of the Transfiguration, also known as the Little Church Around the Corner, is an Episcopal parish church located at 1 West 29th Street between Madison and Fifth Avenues in the NoMad neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. he congregation was founded in 1848 by the Rev. Dr. George Hendric Houghton, and worshipped in a home at 48 East 29th Street until the church was built and consecrated in 1849.
The church was designed in the early English Neo-Gothic style; the architech has not been identified.[2] The sanctuary is set back from the street behind a garden which creates a facsimile of the English countryside which has long been an oasis for New Yorkers of all faiths who relax in the garden, pray in the chapel or enjoy free weekday concerts in the main church. The complex has grown somewhat haphazardly over the years, and for this it is sometimes called the "Holy Cucumber Vine."[3] The sanctuary had a guildhall, transepts and a tower added to it in 1852, and the lych-gate, designed by Frederick C. Withers, was built in 1896. Chapels were added in 1906 (lady chapel) and 1908 (mortuary chapel).
In 1967, the Church was designated a New York City landmarks,[2] and in 1973 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
NRHP#73001216
NYC Landmark

Comments are closed.