Church of St Andrew, Minterne Magna
Image by ell brown
A village in Dorset called Minerne Magna. We stopped here to visit Minterne Gardens.
This is the Church of St Andrew in Minterne Magna.
Grade II* listed building.
ST 60 SE MINTERNE MAGNA MINTERNE MAGNA VILLAGE
8/172 26-1-56 Church of St Andrew
Parish Church. Chancel and nave early C15, north chapel 1610-20,
west tower 1800 and 1894, general restoration 1894. Chapel probably
for Sir Robert Napier. Restoration of chancel and aisle by H.C. Sturt.
Walls of banded flint and rubble and rubble with Ham Hill stone ashlar
dressings, chapel in ashlar. Tiled, gable-ended roofs with stone
copings bearing finials. Nave has stone slate verges. Plan: chancel,
nave, west tower, north chapel. West tower: 2 stages separated by
strings with embattled parapet and crocketted pinnicles; parapet
string bears gargoules and stylized foliage; angle pilaster strips;
first stage has blind 2-centred arches to north and south and 2-centred,
moulded west door; second stage has 2-centred windows with pierced
stone panels, nave wall; windows separated by Cl9 2-stage buttresses
with carved gabled tops; central C19, 4-centred perpendicular, 3-light
window flanked by similar 2-light C15 windows under 2-centred heads.
Chancel: south wall has 2 square headed, 2-light Perpendicular windows
flanking a 2-centred door; east window of 3-lights with perpendicular
tracery under a 2-centred head; north window similar to the south
windows. Chapel: north window of 5-lights with 4-centred heads, the
central one being raised,with a stepped, returned label over: west window
of 4 4-centred lights with a square head and ovolo-moulded mullions;
west door with 4-centred head. South nave window is of 2-lights under
a 2-centred head with Perpendicular tracery. Interior features:
moulded, 2-centred chancel arch with continuous jambs; moulded,
elliptical chapel arch: tower arch part concealed, flat responds;
C19 scissor-braced roofs with cusping to nave and chancel springing
from carved corbels; C19 chapel roof with arch-braced cambered collar
springing from wall-plate with carved leaves; seating with carved
bench ends of 1897; C19 octagonal pulpit; piscina with 2-centred head
in nave; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoils containing carving on
modern base; various C17, C18, C19 and C20 monuments notably to the
Napiers in the chapel with broken pediment on Corinthian columns flanked
by weepers by Robert Taylor senior early C18 and to Charles Churchill
1714 in the nave with massed trophies of arms; some C15 glass in nave.
RCHM, Dorset, vol I, pp 167-168, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin,1972, p 295. Kelly’s Directory
of Dorsetshire 1899.
Listing NGR: ST6595504340