Church Notre-Dame-des-Victoires – Vieux-Québec, Québec, QC, Canada
Image by Juan_Carlos_Cruz
Notre-Dame-des-Victoires is a small Roman Catholic stone church in the Lower Town of Quebec City. Construction was started in 1687 on site of Champlain’s habitation and was completed in 1723.
Originally dedicated to l’Enfant Jésus, it received the name Notre-Dame-de-la-Victoire following the Battle of Quebec of 1690, in which an English expedition commanded by William Phips was forced to retreat. In 1711, its name was changed again, to Notre-Dame-des-Victoires, after bad weather had sunk a British fleet commanded by Hovenden Walker.
The church was largely destroyed by the British bombardment that preceded the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in September 1759. A complete restoration of the church was finished in 1816.
The church, which was listed as a historic monument in 1929, remains a popular tourist attraction within the city, as well as a place of worship. It has undergone extensive restoration in recent decades, to restore its colonial French character. It was designated a National Historic Sites of Canada in 1988 and plaqued in 1992.