Christ Church Cathedral
Image by infomatique
Christ Church is too large to include in one photograph.
The church’s history begins when the first bishop of Dublin, Dúnán, was appointed by its founder: Sitric Silkenbeard, the Hiberno-Norse King of Dublin between 989 and 1036.
Dublin was captured by Norman’s in 1172 and soon afterwards, at the instigation of Norman knight Richard ‘Strongbow’ de Clare, the cathedral was re-built to resemble its present form. The grand Romanesque building, including the vast crypt (the oldest remaining structure in Dublin), was completed in 1240. Strongbow’s tomb is on display in the cathedral.
The last great renovation effort was between 1871 and 1878, when local distiller Henry Roe donated the vast sum of £230,000 pounds (around M US dollars in today’s money) for the cathedral’s restoration. Work was led by English architect George Edward Street. Amongst other bold renovations, Street cleared out the crypt (apparently chock-a-block with the debris of coffins and corpses) and removed the houses which had been built right up to the church walls.
Christ Church Cathedral remains in daily use today serving the Dublin and Glendalough dioceses of the Church of Ireland.