Charleston – French Quarter: Saint Philips Episcopal Church

Charleston – French Quarter: Saint Philips Episcopal Church
Episcopal Church
Image by wallyg
St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, located at 146 Church Street, houses the oldest congregation in South Carolina, formed by Charles Town colonists in 1681, and was the first Anglican church established south of Virginia. The current church building, located at 146 Church Street, was built from 1835-1836 by Joseph Hyde, with its steeple added from 1848-1850 by Edward Brickell White. The first St. Philip’s was a small wooden building, constructed in 1681 on the present day site of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church. After it was destroyed by a hurricane in 1710, it was replaced by a new brick building on the current site in 1723 that burned down in 1835.

The stuccoed brick church features an imposing tower designed in the Wren-Gibbs tradition. Like the earlier incarnation, and following the contemporary practice of English parish churches, it extends into the center of Church Street, with three separate Tuscan pedimented porticoes on each of its facades. Hyde also added interior Roman columns and entablatures, high Corinthian arcades and a chancel. The chancel was damaged during the Civil War, when the St. Philip’s steeple was used for siting during Union bombardment of the city. Bells that were once encased in the steeple were melted for a Confederate canyon.

National Register #73001695 (1973)