Christmas Celebration Ad – 2008
Video Rating: 5 / 5
Christmas Celebration Ad – 2008
Video Rating: 5 / 5
Television commercial for the Mitsubishi Gallant. (1990)
Video Rating: 5 / 5
A Dixie Welcome to Crawfordville, Georgia
Image by J. Stephen Conn
I have been visiting Crawfordville – or passing through it – for more than 40 years, and it seems that this mural has always been there, proclaiming "A Dixie Welcome to Crawfordville."
The mural proudly proclaims that Crawfordville is the "Home of Alexander H. Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy and Governor of Georgia." The sign also advertises that Crawfordville has "Fine Homes, Stores, Schools, Churches as well as Factory and Business Locations." Want to start a new business where there’s no competition? They’ve got a spot for you in Crawfordville.
John B. Boddie
Image by Dystopos
John B. Boddie, one of the most successful business men in Birmingham, is a native of Dayton, Marengo County, Alabama, where he was born in October, 1849. His father’s ancestors were of French extraction. His mother, who was a granddaughter of General Winchester, of Revolutionary fame, and a sister of tlie gallant General E. W. Rucker, of the Confederate Army, is of Scotch-Irish descent. The parents were natives of Alabama and Tennessee respectively, and were married in the latter State in 1846, but immediately removed to Marengo County, Alabama. In 1859 his father’s death occurred, during a typhoid-fever epidemic, leaving the mother with four children. John B. was the eldest of the number, and received a good education, first as a pupil of the celebrated Henry Tutwiler, and from
thence he went to the University of Mississippi. Before graduation he was called, when only seventeen years of age, from his studies to assume the management of an estate valued at over 0,000. The legislature relieved him from the disabilities of non-age to allow him to assume his responsible trust. These large interests he successfully controlled until the disastrous year of 1873, and from that period until 1883 continued the uneven struggle.
He purchased his first of piece property in Jefferson County, in 1883, at Wood’s Station, which he sold within seventeen days at a profit of ,000, his entire capital being less than one thousand dollars of borrowed money.
He intuitively recognized the magnificent natural beauty of the Southern Highlands for suburban homes, and purchased twenty acres, composing the most desirable locations, and began developing the property, which is now finely improved and dotted with some of the finest suburban residences in the State. He still owns considerable lands in that portion of the city, which is being improved rapidly.
His speculative operations in the business portion of the city have been marvelous, and the execution of them rapid and masterly. A few of them are cited to preserve for posterity some idea of what one man accomplished in the central business portion of Birmingham. His active mind saw at a glance that Morris Avenue would become, by reason of its freight facilities, the center of the wholesale trade, and he accordingly purchased from the Elyton Land Company 975 feet between the railroad and the avenue, paying per front foot. In eight months he had sold all at a profit of over 5,000.
His next venture was on First Avenue, between 21st and 25th streets, purchasing 650 feet from the Elyton Land Company at per front foot, and choice corner lots from diflerent individuals. He then conceived the idea of erecting a magnificent hotel to improve the property, to cost 0,000. After months of planning the desired location was secured by the purchase of the site of Dr. Caldwell’s handsome private residence at a cost of ,000, the hotel to bear the latter’s name, and the Elyton Land Company to take ,000 of the stock, and the balance divided between Mr. Boddie and seven other prominent capitalists. This bold stroke of policy cleared for our subject ,000 on the sale of his lots, and secured the erection of the finest hotel in Alabama, in which he is a large stockholder.
Desiring a permanent investment, he decided upon the southwest corner of First Avenue and 20th street. After several months of negotiations, with an eye single to
becoming the sole possessor of this most eligible business lot, he became the owner of the entire lot, 100×100 feet, paying for it ,500. This lot is now conceded to be worth 5,000. Mr. Boddie intends this lot to be a permanent investment, and will erect upon it a handsome business block, consisting of five stories, with elevators and all of the superior improvements of the age, to live as an enduring monument of his success for many years. These are but fair samples of his many successful operations. He also owns much valuable real estate, and is interested in various enterprises, among which we name: Sloss Steel & Iron Company, North Birmingham Land Company, North Highlands Company, Coalburg Coal & Coke Company, Central Land & Improvement Company, in most of which he is a director. Mr. Boddie has done more to advertise Birmingham and the advantages of Alabama as a safe investment for capital than any other one man. Recognizing the force of placing information abroad, and keeping it before the people, he has been liberal in the extreme sense of that word.
The "New South," one of the finest illustrated monthly magazines in the South, and one that is doing more to attract capital to the South than any other publication in the State, owes to Mr. Boddie the fact that it is on a substantial basis today, and without his timely assistance it would probably have suffered the fate of many other such periodicals.
Since coming to Birmingham he has paid off a large indebtedness contracted prior to coming here, has aided liberally all demands of charity and religious denominations, and has accumulated in a few years a fortune, which is fast increasing, and that in many examples would require a lifetime to secure.
Socially he is most pleasing, and ever ready to extend to the visitor any information and all of the courtesies native to a Southern gentleman. He resides in a finely appointed home, one of the finest and first built on the Highlands, which he is continually beautifying by all the appliances of decoration, furniture and art.
Mr. Boddie was married in 1879 to Miss Annie Perryman, of Mobile. She died in 1883, leaving one child, John B., Jr. January 21st, 1885, he was united to a second wife, Miss Jennie Cleves, of Memphis, Tenn. One child has been born to them, Mary.
They are both members of the M. E. Church, South.
– from Jefferson County and Birmingham Alabama: History and Biographical, edited by John Witherspoon Dubose and published in 1887 by Teeple & Smith / Caldwell Printing Works, Birmingham, Alabama
Image by alex drennan
was an English naval officer, Nottinghamshire militia major and prominent campaigner for parliamentary reform. He subsequently became known as the Father of Reform. His younger brother Edmund Cartwright became famous as the inventor of the steam power loom.
He was born at Marnham in Nottinghamshire, being the elder brother of Edmund Cartwright, inventor of the power loom and the younger brother of George Cartwright, trader and explorer of Labrador. He was educated at Newark-on-Trent grammar school and Heath Academy in Yorkshire, and at the age of eighteen entered the Royal Navy.
He was present, in his first year of service, at the capture of Cherbourg, and served in the following year in the Battle of Quiberon Bay between Sir Edward Hawke and Admiral Hubert de Brienne, Comte de Conflans. Engaged afterwards under Sir Hugh Palliser and Admiral John Byron on the Newfoundland station, he was appointed to act as chief magistrate of the settlement; and the duties of this post he discharged for five years (1765–1770).
From 1763 to 14 May 1766, Cartwright was commander of HM Cutter Sherborne.His brother George, when at loose ends, went with him on a cruise out of Plymouth to chase smugglers in Sherborne
Ill-health necessitated his retirement from active service for a time in 1771. When the disputes with the American colonies began, he saw the colonists as having right on their side, warmly supported their cause and at the outbreak of the ensuing American War of Independence even refused an appointment as first lieutenant to the Duke of Cumberland, which would have put him on the path of certain promotion, since he did not wish to fight against the cause which he felt to be just. In 1774 he published his first plea on behalf of the colonists, entitled American Independence the Glory and Interest of Great Britain.
Nottinghamshire Militia and Reform
In 1775, when the Nottinghamshire Militia was first raised, he was appointed major, and in this capacity he served for seventeen years. He was at last illegally superseded, because of his political opinions.
In 1776 appeared his first work on reform in parliament, which, with the exception of Earl Stanhope’s pamphlets (1774), appears to have been the earliest publication on the subject. It was entitled, Take your Choice, a second edition appearing under the new title of The Legislative Rights of the Commonalty Vindicated, and advocated annual parliaments, the secret ballot and manhood suffrage.
The task of his life was thenceforth chiefly the attainment of universal suffrage and annual parliaments. In 1778 he conceived the project of a political association, which took shape in 1780 as the Society for Constitutional Information, including among its members some of the most distinguished men of the day. From this society sprang the more famous London Corresponding Society. Major Cartwright worked unweariedly for the promotion of reform. He was one of the witnesses on the trial of his friends, John Horne Tooke, John Thelwall and Thomas Hardy, in 1794.
He left his large estate in Lincolnshire in 1805 to move to London where he made friends with other leading Radicals including Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Baronet, William Cobbett and Francis Place.
In 1812, he initiated the Hampden Clubs, named after John Hampden, an English Civil War Parliamentary leader, aiming to bring together middle class moderates and lower class radicals in the reform cause. To promote the idea, he toured northwest England later in 1812, in 1813 (getting arrested in Huddersfield) and in 1815. He recruited John Knight who founded the first Hampden Club in Lancashire and later asked Major Cartwright to speak at what became the Peterloo Massacre, but the elderly Cartwright was unable to attend. In 1819, he was arrested for speaking at a parliamentary reform meeting in Birmingham, indicted for conspiracy and was condemned to pay a fine of £100.
Cartwright then wrote The English Constitution, which outlined his ideas including government by the people and legal equality which he considered could only be achieved by universal suffrage, the secret ballot and equal electoral districts. He became the main patron of the Radical publisher Thomas Jonathan Wooler, best known for his satirical journal The Black Dwarf, who actively supported Cartwright’s campaigning.
Cartwright had sent a copy of The English Constitution to former President of the United States, Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson wrote to Cartwright in July:
"Your age of eighty-four, and mine of eighty-one years, ensure us a speedy meeting. We may then commune at leisure, and more fully, on the good and evil, which in the course of our long lives, we have both witnessed; and in the mean time, I pray you to accept assurances of my high veneration and esteem for your person and character".
He died in London, on 23 September 1824, and was buried at St Mary’s Church Finchley. He had married in 1780, but had no children. In 1831, a monument from a design by Macdowell was erected to him in Burton Crescent, WC1H, London, where he had lived. Burton Crescent was later renamed Cartwright Gardens in his honour.
The Life and Correspondence of Major Cartwright, edited by his niece F. D. Cartwright, was published in 1826. This and other correspondence is currently being transcribed onto the internet by Brussels-based political analyst Gary Cartwright at
In 1788, Major Cartwight sold his heavily mortgaged estates at Marnham, buying others at Brothertoft, Lincolnshire. The same year with 18 others, he erected a large mill at East Retford, called the Revolution Mill in celebration of the centenary of the Glorious Revolution. He hoped to weave cloth using the weaving patents of his brother Edmund Cartwright. He also began the mechanical spinning of wool, or rather worsted. This business did not prove to be a success. The mill stood idle within a few years and was advertised to sale in 1798 and 1805.
Captain George Vancouver named Cartwright Sound, on the west coast of Graham Island in the Queen Charlotte Islands of British Columbia, Canada, in his honour in relation to his Royal Navy service under Admiral Howe
Stephen James Smith POET @ The Literary Death Match Dublin Ep.4 :: 24th June 2011 @ The Workman’s Club Dublin The poem is called ‘The Gardener’. LDM:: www.literarydeathmatch.com Here is a review of the night www.literarydeathmatch.com Stephen is a Dublin based poet and MC of The Glór Sessions. Here are some links for Stephen James Smith:: www.StephenJamesSmith.com http www.myspace.com www.youtube.com twitter.com www.ustream.tv www.reverbnation.com The video was filmed by Bob Kelly in difficult conditions! :: myeyecons.com June 24, 2011 — While rain showers flooded Dublin, inside The Workman’s Club, the literary stars shined bright-hot, as Stephen James Smith out-near-kissed James Joyce (using a Nerf shotgun with lipstick-tipped darts), narrowly beating co-finalist Virginia Gilbert to win Smith the Literary Death Match crown. But before the first trigger was pulled, the night began with must-read poet Niamh MacAlister charming the audience into applause with a series of poems about growing up in Dublin — one about her hands becoming her mother’s hands. Then up stepped master-performer Smith (curator of The Glór Sessions) who performed a starkly candid poem that gripped the packed house. The mic was then handed to the night’s trio of all-star arbiters, including writer/actor Mark O’Halloran (the writer and co-star of Adam & Paul), actress Kelly Campbell (One Hundred Mornings co-star), and stand-up comedian/conceptual artist Miriam Elia (Sony nominated for her BBC Radio 4 …
A promotional video for the Church Family Retreat for Markham Woods Presbyterian Church held May 13-15 at Southwind in Ocklawaha, Florida.
Video Rating: 0 / 5
Image by Kalense Kid
The school chapel. Ours was a staunch Anglican tradition. I think the padre (there was a strong army odour about the school) would have burned incense if he thought he could get away with it. He made his mark on me – I shall forever associate high church Christianity with the smell of stale whisky and cigarette-tainted halitosis – and is largely responsible for my steadfast belief in the idiocy of religion.
Staunch Anglican then, but what it is now? Slogans on the wall? Dear me, hardly the done thing, a little ostentatious, isn’t it? Other adjectives like tawdry and fundamentalist keep sneaking into my mind.
Jesus saves, keeps and satisfies? Since he has been dead for some time now, he can do none of the above, and this is mendacious advertising.
Taormina (Sicilian: Taurmina, Greek: Ταυρομένιον – Tauromenion, Latin Tauromenium) is a comune and small town on the east coast of the island of Sicily, Italy, in the Province of Messina, about midway between Messina and Catania. Taormina has been a very popular tourist destination since the 19th century. It has popular beaches (accessible via an aerial tramway) on the Ionian sea, which is remarkably warm and has a high salt content. Taormina can be reached via highways (autostrade) from Messina from the north and Catania from the south.
In the late 19th century Taormina gained further prominence as the place where Wilhelm von Gloeden worked most of his life as a photographer of predominantly male nudes. Also credited for making Taormina popular was Otto Geleng, best known in his hometown of Berlin for his fine paintings, which he composed and painted in Italy but exhibited in Germany. What distinguishes Geleng, however, is his choice to depict the more southern regions where he captured the spectacular views and light of Sicily. He often painted the area’s Greek colonial ruins, including Taormina. Taormina’s first important tourist was Johann Wolfgang Goethe who dedicated exalting pages to the city in his book entitled "Journey to Italy," but perhaps it was Geleng’s views that made its beauty talked about throughout Europe and turned the site into a famous tourist center. The artist arrived in Sicily at the age of 20 in search of new subjects for his paintings. On his way through Taormina he was so enamoured by the landscape that he decided to stop for part of the winter. Geleng began to paint everything that Taormina offered: ruins, sea, mountains, none of which were familiar to the rest of Europe. When his paintings were later exhibited in Berlin and Paris, many critics accused Geleng of having an ‘unbridled imagination’. At that, Geleng challenged them all to go to Taormina with him, promising that he would pay everyone’s expenses if he were not telling the truth.
During the early 20th century the town became a colony of expatriate artists, writers, and intellectuals. D. H. Lawrence stayed here at the Fontana Vecchia from 1920 to 1922, and wrote a number of his poems, novels, short stories, and essays, and a travel book, Sea and Sardinia. Charles Webster Leadbeater, the theosophical author, found out that Taormina had the right magnetics fields for Jiddu Krishnamurti to develop his talents, so the young Krishnamurti dwelt here from time to time. Halldór Laxness, the Icelandic author, worked here on the first modern Icelandic novel, Vefarinn mikli frá Kasmír.
By this time Taormina had become "a polite synonym for Sodom" as Harold Acton described it. Later, however, after the Second World War Acton was visiting Taormina with Evelyn Waugh and, coming upon a board advertising “Ye Olde English Teas” he sighed and commented that Taormina ‘was now quite as boring as Bournemouth’.
The present town of Taormina occupies the ancient site, on a lofty hill which forms the last projecting point of the mountain ridge that extends along the coast from Cape Pelorus to this point. The site of the old town is about 300 m above the sea, while a very steep and almost isolated rock, crowned by a Saracen castle, rises about 150 m higher: this is undoubtedly the site of the ancient Arx or citadel, the inaccessible position of which is repeatedly alluded to by ancient writers. Portions of the ancient walls may be traced at intervals all round the brow of the hill, the whole of the summit of which was evidently occupied by the ancient city. Numerous fragments of ancient buildings are scattered over its whole surface, including extensive reservoirs of water, sepulchres, tesselated pavements, etc., and the remains of a spacious edifice, commonly called a Naumachia, but the real destination of which it is difficult to determine.
The Teatro Greco ("Greek theatre").
But by far the most remarkable monument remaining at Taormina is the ancient theatre (the teatro greco, or "Greek theatre"), which is one of the most celebrated ruins in Sicily, on account both of its remarkable preservation and of the surpassing beauty of its situation. It is built for the most part of brick, and is therefore probably of Roman date, though the plan and arrangement are in accordance with those of Greek, rather than Roman, theatres; whence it is supposed that the present structure was rebuilt upon the foundations of an older theatre of the Greek period. With a diameter of 109 metres (after an expansion in the 2nd century), this theatre is the second largest of its kind in Sicily (after that of Syracuse); it is frequently used for operatic and theatrical performances and for concerts. The greater part of the original seats have disappeared, but the wall which surrounded the whole cavea is preserved, and the proscenium with the back wall of the scena and its appendages, of which only traces remain in most ancient theatres, are here preserved in singular integrity, and contribute much to the picturesque effect, as well as to the interest, of the ruin. From the fragments of architectural decorations still extant we learn that it was of the Corinthian order, and richly ornamented. Some portions of a temple are also visible, converted into the church of San Pancrazio, but the edifice is of small size.
taormina rainbow messina bougainvillea basil basilico hotel san domenico giardini naxos etna volcano vulcano island isola sicilia sicily italia italy sea sun landscape free europe wallpaper michael micky castielli resolution vacation holiday travel flight creativecommons creative commons zero CC0 cc0 CC cc panoramio flickr googleearth maps geotagged gnu gimp wikimedia
We caught up with Louie Spence on the set of T-Mobile’s dope new advert. Interview conducted with PopBitch & Hecklerspray
Video Rating: 4 / 5