Bristol – Abbey (Protestant Church) – Psalm 148: “O Praise The Lord of Heaven”

Bristol Cathedral began life as a Norman abbey church, became an Anglican Cathedral after the Dissolution in 1539, and was almost entirely rebuilt in the neo-Gothic style in the late 19th century. History: Bristol Cathedral began as Abbey in 1140. The chapterhouse, still standing, dates from 1165. The Norman abbey church was rebuilt from 1298 onwards, but the new church was still incomplete at the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 when its nave was demolished. In 1542 the church was made the cathedral of a new Diocese of Bristol and was dedicated to the Holy and Undivided Trinity. The nave was eventually built during the 19th century and the building was completed by two towers at the west end in 1888. Names: Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity in Bristol; Bristol Cathedral Type of site: Cathedral Faith: Christian Faith (Anglican Church) Status: Active Dates: 1140; 1888 Architecture: Norman and neo-Gothic Location: College Green, Bristol, England BS1 5TJ Bus: 8 or 9 Phone: 01179/264 879 Website: www.bristol-cathedral.co.uk Services: Sunday: 7.40am Morning Prayer; 8.00am Holy Communion; 10.00am Cathedral Eucharist; 3.30pm Choral Evensong. Weekdays: Morning Prayer at 8.30am; Eucharist at 12.30pm; Evensong at 5.15pm (Saturdays at 3.30pm)