Image by Providence Public Library
wc 477 churches Episcopal – Cathedral of St. John – Providence
The Cathedral faces North Main Street. Its cemetery borders historic Benefit Street.
The church was established by Gabriel Bernon, a Huguenot refugee in 1722. The original
church was known as King’s Chapel and was replaced by the present edifice in 1810. It
is one of the oldest Episcopal Church organizations in the nation.